Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Add new device via iOS app

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
FarleyWeiss
Initiate
Initiate

Using the IOS App v2.4.4 I went through the process to add a new Arlo Pro camera.  Followed it step by step and all the lights blinked as indicated and it appeared I had succeeded.  But the new camera never appeared in my list of devices.  I repeated the process several times.

WORKAROUND: Went to my laptop and logged onto arlo.netgear.com and lo and behold the new camera is visible in my account with a message "Firmware update required".  Clicked the button to upgrade the firmware, and the camera works.

I later figured out the reason this was happening was because on the website I'm logged in using the "base" account we used to set up the system, but on my phone I'm logged in with my personal account. 

(We have three accounts - the base one that "owns" everything, then a separate account for me and a separate account for my wife.  That way we can each have settings the way we like it, and the base account is a "safety" in case our accounts get locked out or whatever).  Possibly we're not using the system in the way it was intended for a multi-person household.

Obviously it lets you add the camera in the IOS app because by pressing the buttons you are "proving" that you have physical access to the system.  That's fine. But once added, the camera has not yet been shared with my personal account so the IOS app CORRECTLY doesn't show it.  While this is certainly CORRECT behavior, it's confusing to the person who just sat there pressing buttons and watching blinking lights.

SUGGESTED FIX: I understand the IOS app can't do everything and sometimes we have to go visit the website, that's fine. But in this case the IOS app ought to at least offer an on-screen message or push notification to tell you what just happened.  Something like "Camera added - owner must share camera with you before it can be seen here." 

1 REPLY 1
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You should use your "base" account and grant access to your wife. That's the way the system was designed to be used. Otherwise, every time you add a camera, you'll need to log into your "base" account and go to the Grant Access menu and add that camera to both yourself and your wife