Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SpudNuts11
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do I access local storage? I've had a 2TB drive connected for over a month but the system says 1.81 of 1.82TB available. I have every camera setup with local storage but it doesn't seem to be recording anything. Does it only access local storage after loss of the internet?

Can I configure this to record without cloud storage? I'd like to have a local backup since my business is at my home and if I loose internet, it would be nice to have recordings to check if there's an issue.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You access local storage by ejecting the drive safely in the base settings. Plug it into a computer. You can't access it like a NAS.

It's definitely a backup device. It will continue to record on loss of Internet (as long as you haven't lost power - a UPS for modem, router and base will fix that). Any videos recorded during an Internet outage will NOT be uploaded to the cloud once restored. This is a cloud-based service as advertised - no way around it.

SpudNuts11
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok, so it only records locally during an internet outage. That explains the drive not filling up. Gotcha, thanks. I’ll have to test this to make sure because I need to make sure I have a backup in case of no internet.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No, it records ANY recording, regardless of whether it's connected to the Internet or not. If it's a recording, it goes to the SD card.

SpudNuts11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Then, i'll have to remove the hard drive and see what's on it because a month of recording 7 cameras should have used more than 100 megs of disk space. It's not an SD card, it's a 2TB USB hard drive.

The Arlo did format it without any issues but doesn't seem to be recording to it because the space available has never changed.

SpudNuts11
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's working. Has tons of videos but seriously sacrifices quality of the video to reduce file size.

I only have four issues with this:

1. It would be nice if we could access the videos through the Arlo APP or website. Have an "Offline" option so you won't have to remove the drive from the base. I have my base installed in an area that's a little bit of a pain to get to but covers the entire house. I know Netgear does make money off their product (especially this one since the system cost is so very high) and cloud storage is another source of revenue but sometimes allowing an option like this with the quality of this product, might actually increase sales.

2. The recordings are placed in folders that are labeled with a random number or might be sequential but does not give the user any indication as to what's in it (date/time). Each folder holds numerous days so it would be nice to list it as a timeframe. Example "20180405 20180407" or something like that.

3. The filenames for each video is labeled by the camera's serial and not the name the user labeled them. This really makes it difficult to know what video is from what camera. I really doubt any user out there just leaves the camera names as the default serial number and then actually knows which camera is what based on that original default name.

4. Give the user the option to increase resolution quality of video's being backed up to local storage. I've connect a 2TB drive and we've only used up 100megs, that's an incredible low about of space but a high cost in quality. Giving the user the option to sacrifice space for quality, would be a good idea.

Just some ideas and thanks for the replies.