Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Doormaster2008
Initiate
Initiate

Why do i keep getting Access token has expired. When this comes up i have to either delete the app and reinstall it or change my password. It wont even accept my fingerprint

54 REPLIES 54
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Doormaster2008,

What device are you using when you experience the issue?

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Jim3000
Initiate
Initiate
I've seen the official answer for this. I have no idea what "stringify" is or how to reset "things". Every few weeks I can't log in due to this problem . The only thing I can find to resolve it is to change passwords. This is highly annoying. How do I stop this?
HilaryB
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem quite freqently. It tells me that the password I am using is incorrect. When I reset the password but use my old password it tells me that I must use a different password to the old one, ie, my old password was actually correct. This is on my phone app. But on the computer we have a slightly different problem all day long - I wanted to use the arlo to monitor people coming in and out of the building, but it keeps logging out. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@HilaryB,

Have you tried contacting customer support regarding this issue? I have attached the link below for you - Arlo Tech Support

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@HilaryB wrote:

I have the same problem quite freqently. It tells me that the password I am using is incorrect. When I reset the password but use my old password it tells me that I must use a different password to the old one, ie, my old password was actually correct. This is on my phone app. But on the computer we have a slightly different problem all day long - I wanted to use the arlo to monitor people coming in and out of the building, but it keeps logging out. 

The log out after 30 minutes on the website in normal. This system isn't designed to be used for 24/7 monitoring. It's an activity to trigger recording system. If you have an Arlo Q, Q plus, Pro 2, or baby cam you can buy the CVR plan which will allow you to record 24/7 to the cloud, but again that's recording 24/7 not live viewing.

Doormaster2008
Initiate
Initiate
Android samsung s6 phone and samsung tablet
HilaryB
Initiate
Initiate
@Doormaster2008 wrote:
Android samsung s6 phone and samsung tablet

Not sure what the reference to Samsung is meant to be - I have a Moto phone. The support number is in the US, and I live in NZ. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the pull-down to get numbers for other countries.

jhstealth
Tutor
Tutor

@jguerdat

I have the same problem.   It has happened on multiple platforms (multiple models of phones and tablets and PC/web interface).  It happens with regularity that I get the expired token error.   This is a major design flaw by Arlo. 

This morning I got an alert on my driveway camera.   I viewed it but the camera was too slow to record, so it didn't see anything.  So, being pre-dawn hours, I locked my phone and tried to go back to sleep.   A few minutes later I hear something outside and get a notice of something at my front door.  I go back to the app to look.   Password token has expired!  

Instead of getting to immediately see who or what has moved from my driveway to my door in the pre-dawn hours, I get to go through this complicated guessing game to try to reset my password because that is the only thing that has worked to get back in once the system goes into this failure state.   This is a legal liability for Arlo.  Not being able to view cameras in a timely manner could mean calling 911 in time or not. 

But, no, I have to go to the web interface, click the forgot password, even though I didn't forget the password, it's just not working any more.  I have to open my email, click that link, and then change the password.   Mind you, I can't seem to reuse any password I've ever used before, so it takes me a little bit to come up with another password I'll remember.  All the while, you know, fumbling due to adrenaline as I wonder what that noise is at my front freaking door.  STOP WITH THE EXPIRING PASSWORDS!!!!  That's ultimately what this expired token is.   Passwords forced to expire due to poor application design/engineering.

Between that and the proprietary wireless setup that prevents me from using wi-fi extenders to be able to fully cover my property (second design failure by Arlo) I'm just about convinced to find a new, more reliable and more intelligently designed camera system.  This password token thing is pretty much the last straw.   I don't want to be in danger because Arlo engineers think they know better how to handle passwords than me, a 20+ year veteran Information Technology professional.   Arlo needs to fix this, and fix it immediately.  Change the password requirements and push the settings to all accounts urgently.

jesperesq
Tutor
Tutor

That's a waste.  We have to pay to get Arlo to fix a problem they created.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Paying Arlo does nothing - it has nothing at all to do with the problem.

jesperesq
Tutor
Tutor

My point is that calling support to fix a problem that should not exist in the first place, and then having to PAY Arlo to fix a problem they created it, is not a "fix."   So far, it looks like this is a deliberate and common software glitch which Arlo won't fix and doesn't care to. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Who is charging you? Arlodoesn't so it sounds like you need to read the FAQ here on bogus "support" websites.

Try this instead:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

T4
Aspirant
Aspirant
Laudaniel
Aspirant
Aspirant
I've been having the same problem with the access token expired messages. It's so common I started writing down when it occurs. Last time was 3-13 and then today 3-22. Is anyone seeing this message this often?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The Arlo development team is currently investigating this issue. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

Crjones
Aspirant
Aspirant
What does this mean?
I pay a monthly service.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just clear the message and log in. It's an issue that just pops up occasionally.

rickw12
Guide
Guide

I started having this problem tonight for the first time when trying to log in by fingerprint. I can still log in by password. Sony Xperia X Compact, Android 8.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've found that once I log in via password, the fingerprint method works fine.

jhstealth
Tutor
Tutor
It just happened again. Motion at my front door, but I couldn't see it because I had to go reset the password through the website, taking time to come up with an entirely new password. Meanwhile whatever was happening at my front door continued to happen while I'm completely blind. As I do through the painfully show process to reset my password I wondered if I should I call 911, risking bringing them out for nothing? I don't know, but tick tock, tick tock on whatever was going on at my front door at the same time.

I have no less than 20 pieces of home automation and security equipment in my relatively "smart" home, and the Arlo system is the only grear I own that experiences this type of monumental failure caused by scheduled password obsolescence. Absolutely outrageous.

Arlo is the only Netgear equipment in my house and if this isn't fixed soon, it'll be on eBay when I replace it with more reliable, better designed equipment.
Drkecman
Aspirant
Aspirant
It is not letting me sign in due to access tokek has experienced! I dont even k ow what that means!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try force closing the app or rebooting the phone and log in then.

melissaartist2
Initiate
Initiate

Making Passwords expire for a corporate entirprise network environment is a good thing.  Making them expire for consumer products is dumb, not necessary, and a horrible design.  This is not some CISCO, MICROSOFT, AMAZON, or some large corporate network.  It's my home security system!  I travel and don't always have access to my password list that has hundreds of passwords on it.  When I cannot access my Arlo cameras because my password token has expired it really  makes a wonderful product (as a whole) look bad.    Please consider providing the option to allow the token to NEVER EXPIRE or make it so I can have a no brainer password without all the corporate network security BS rules (must have a capital, must be at least 6 characters, and so on.....  I should be able to have any password I want.  Even it it's '1234'.   It's my home cameras and if I want the world to see what I am doing because of weak passwords, that ought to be my decision not yours!  The password token is very problematic for people who travel who don't have access to their 'secret' password list.  Where is a good usability designer when you need one.