Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
ChinJing
Luminary
Luminary

hello we have 2 base stations and i just now noticed after 2 years of having arlo pro that our wifi networks in our computer and cell phone had 2 new wifi networks listed called ARLO_VMB_ and then some numbers. i disconnected one base station and one of the wifi networks dissapeared from the laptop and iphone list of wifi networks.  becuase of all the recent arlo pro base station problems i was worried this just happened today.....is it possible arlo pro base station is broadcasting a wifi network? it asks for a password if you try to join the arlo network.

9 REPLIES 9
Redmoonstar
Luminary
Luminary

Hi,  my base station has  always shown as another network, I believe it is because the camera's connect to the base station (i wirelessly) and not to the router. The base station connects to the router for internet access.  Someone more knowledgeable than me may be able to explain it better. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, the base stations broadcast an SSID ,  they are special wifi routers that talk ONLY to the cameras.

( btw, a hidden ssid doesn't prevent hackers really in any way )

There is NO access into the Base unit as a safety design even tho it may show a sign-on on a device.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
SurJones
Star
Star

Hey I have this showing up in my list of local wifi connections. Is there a way of hiding it so my neighbors or people looking for wifi signals dont see someone has security cameras and start looking for them - thanks

Joe_Arlo
Aspirant
Aspirant
I created two internal networks and put a firewall between them, that way if my camera net become compromised they are isolated away from my computer net. Still means my cameras are jacked and I don't know if I would even be able to tell if the intruder just sat and watched.

I would be nice if they at least didn't broadcast arlo in the network name...

That's like saying, "Come look at me".

SurJones
Star
Star

Any simple tutorial on how to do this - I have the Linsys Velop 2 Router

SurJones
Star
Star

bump

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
@Joe_Arlo  wrote:

I created two internal networks and put a firewall between them, that way if my camera net become compromised they are isolated away from my computer net.

@SurJones wrote:

Any simple tutorial on how to do this - I have the Linsys Velop 2 Router

It's a rather sophisticated setup for a home network, and your router doesn't have the needed features.

One way to cobble this together is to use two home routers (both in router mode).

ISP --->>>--- ISP router --->>>---Linksys Velop 2
                     |
                     |
                     V
                  Arlo Base

The ISP router and the Velop would use different subnets - for instance 192.168.1.x and 10.0.0.x.  If you do use port forwarding, you'd need to forward the ports from the ISP router to the Velop, and then again from the Velop to the final client destination.

You'd probably need to turn on the wifi on the ISP router and connect to it when you are adding devices to your account or resyncing them.  The Arlo base can reach the the Velop's WAN interface, but the Velop's NAT firewall prevents it from reaching any client devices connected to the Velop.

LuKa7482
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi,
I do acknowledge all of the provided answers. Still, I do have a concern: my Canon printer keeps trying connecting to NETGEAR WiFi (stronger in signal) instead of staying connected to my home WiFi. The printer can’t access but still leaves the regular network, becoming “disconnected” for all computers, tablets and phones.
How to avoid this, if not by hiding the Arlo-Netgear SSID?
Thanks in advance for your answer!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LuKa7482 wrote:
Hi,
I do acknowledge all of the provided answers. Still, I do have a concern: my Canon printer keeps trying connecting to NETGEAR WiFi 

How do you know it is trying to connect to the Arlo WiFi?

Is it possible that it is simply disconnecting from your home WiFi?  

Is the base station close to the printer?  If it is, it might be interfering with your home wifi.  In that case, try moving it a bit further away.