Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Jobowe
Star
Star

My system is at a remote second home.  Since a firmware update was pushed a few days ago, now I can't use my system which defeats the purpose of having it.  It has worked fine for two months prior to this.  I can remote into my pc at the remote location so I know that the internet connection is working.  How can I fix this issue remotely asap?

33 REPLIES 33
Mitchellxx
Tutor
Tutor

Can someone at Arlo give a definitive answer as to minimum download speed in order to Update the Firmware.

I purchased at Best Buy and specifically asked the question and was told that my DSL line was sufficient as long as its at least 1 megabit... Any ideas or suggestions before I go and return the sytem. 

pheugo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem as described in this thread. The update notification is covering the live view and reduces the usefulness of the system. System version: VMB3010 basestation 1.9.0.0_14639,xagent 3.2.4-rc2

After login, if I click on the play icon fast enough, that camera starts to display. When the system is armed I get notifications from movement. So, the cameras work OK and the image gets uploaded, is viewable and saved. The problem is that the firmware update always fails. This system is at a remote location that is only visited on weekends and I need to monitor remotely. 

If the live display would put the update notice somewhere other than covering the view I could use the system as-is. 

sparkino
Aspirant
Aspirant

Having the same problem of a slow link (DSL is all the best I can get) in a holiday home that is a 4 hour drive away from home base. Will open a case with support.

This is a very silly thing to spoil the product given the intended use. Making the upgrade optional or allowing USB firmware delivery would be a big step forward.

Breaking the viewing ability is not so smart.

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

Forcing a firmware update that prevents the use of live view until it's updated is obtuse. It's a shame that this is still an ongoing issue.

Mitchellxx
Tutor
Tutor

After spending several weeks with ARLO tech support, the bottom line is without upload speeds of 1 Mbps the firmware will not update.

Without the updated firmware you don't get the live feed.

Interesting that you can get a delayed feed/view (20 seconds) when you use the camera positioning mode but not a real time direct live feed.

I also am unable to remotely check the battery level which I know is close to 100%. 
I get either a 0% or plug icon. I put each camera on the charger just to confirm and they were all at 100%. 

I was told by ARLO tech support I can bring the system to a location with higher internet speeds and do the firmware update.
REALLY....:(
That solution is not a solution it is essentially doing a complete re-install twice, the first at the secondary location with higher internet speeds then returning the system to original location and essentially doing a new setup.
Then what happens with future firmware updates. Will we need to take the system down and out each time?

When I purchased ARLO at Best Buy I mentioned I have DSL for internet and they told me the speed would not effect the system.

So instead of bailing on the ARLO system which I need for my second home I am in the process of installing HughesNet satellite internet 25Mbps down and 3 Mbps up with 10GB data per month cost $50 which is about $10 a month more than my Verizon DSL.
I will update once the install of Hughesnet is complete.
Hope this helps
Mitchellxx
Tutor
Tutor

If this issue is not corrected we will experience this problem each time ARLO does a firmware update which I understand can be 1-2 times each month

Mitchellxx
Tutor
Tutor

After spending several weeks with ARLO tech support, the bottom line is without upload speeds of 1 Mbps the firmware will not update.

Without the updated firmware you don't get the live feed.

Interesting that you can get a delayed feed/view (20 seconds) when you use the camera positioning mode but not a real time direct live feed.

I also am unable to remotely check the battery level which I know is close to 100%. 
I get either a 0% or plug icon. I put each camera on the charger just to confirm and they were all at 100%. 

I was told by ARLO tech support I can bring the system to a location with higher internet speeds and do the firmware update.
REALLY....:(
That solution is not a solution it is essentially doing a complete re-install twice, the first at the secondary location with higher internet speeds then returning the system to original location and essentially doing a new setup.
Then what happens with future firmware updates. Will we need to take the system down and out each time?

When I purchased ARLO at Best Buy I mentioned I have DSL for internet and they told me the speed would not effect the system.

So instead of bailing on the ARLO system which I need for my second home I am in the process of installing HughesNet satellite internet 25Mbps down and 3 Mbps up with 10GB data per month cost $50 which is about $10 a month more than my Verizon DSL.
Hope this helps
KemoSabe
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased the syetem a few days ago. It immediately came up with the A Firmware Update is Required.....  Upgrade Failed - File Failed to Download  message. The initial advice from ARLO support involved all of the usual reboots, repower, even reset the whole system etc.  but  no amount of rebooting or recycling would help. As has been determined here by others, it eventually came down to internet speeds.

Unfortunately, in this part of Australia my speed and services are extremely limited so the mandatory firmware updates, are going to take the system down, each and every time. I would put up with the latency limitations of my upload speed, but the system is inoperable when each and every camera view is obliterated by the Firmware update notice. 

The excitement of a nice new efficient surveillance system has been replaced with the incredible disappointment of a system brought down by it's own creators. Now comes the challenge of trying to get my money back etc. 

Mandatory updates that fail are incredibly frustrating. Einstein's definition of insanity was based on doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. It sure makes the software look stupid when it does exactly that. It doesn't count the failed attempts, it overs no alternative, it just leaves the support people with nothing to offer but apologies.

Mitchellxx
Tutor
Tutor

Long story short.. the only solution is to increase speed. I am in a very remote area with only DSL service usually under 3Mbp... I changed services and now have a satellite internet service provider. Upgrade went right thru and system works as expected. I feel your frustration as for a month I tried everything to get the firmware updated.

It costs me about $15 a month more but is worth the piece of mind. Best of luck.