Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
Jobowe
Star
Star

My system is at a remote second home.  Since a firmware update was pushed a few days ago, now I can't use my system which defeats the purpose of having it.  It has worked fine for two months prior to this.  I can remote into my pc at the remote location so I know that the internet connection is working.  How can I fix this issue remotely asap?

33 REPLIES 33
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you can get to the base settings, you can restart the base unit...  But, if the cameras don't come back there's nothing to be done remotely.

For the future I can suggust two things that may help.

1)  A UPS for the base unit...if the base unit is powered, then the cameras don't become disconnected

2) wemo ac power plug ( https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Wi-Fi-Enabled-Works-Amazon/dp/B01NBI0A6R )

If you can't acces the base but you know your router came back, this allows you to power cycle the base unit remotely and at which time the base usu comes back .

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Jobowe
Star
Star

I am able to get to the base unit settings in the app and have restarted the base unit multiple times.  The cameras are online and connected, it's just that the camera images are covered up with the text saying that I need to upgrade the firmware.

my issue is not power related, but I do have the exact setup you mentioned in place.  I am using a ups and a wemo switch which all works fine.

My issue is that I can't get past the firmware update.  A few times, if I'm very fast, I've been able to click on play as soon as I start the app, and before the update firmware message appears, and the cameras will play as expected.  Unfortunately this is very few and far between and certainly is not the solution...it does however prove that the system is up and running with the cameras connected.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

If you clicked on the update, then that's all you can do at the moment... the SW usu comes in the early mornig hours when the far end servers do their house-keeping... no real way to force an update

Wait till tomorrow and hope.

Morse is faster than texting!
Jobowe
Star
Star
So, it's been two days so far that I haven't been able to use the system. Based on your comment, am I to assume that all I can do is just keep hoping everyday that the update works and if it doesn't then I just spent $650 on a system that I can't use? Seems like there has to be a better way to fix something as simple as a firmware update.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Open a case with support.
Georbc
Aspirant
Aspirant
I am able to get to the base unit settings in the app and have restarted the base unit multiple times. The cameras are online and connected, it's just that the camera images are covered up with the text saying that I need to upgrade the firmware.

my issue is not power related, but I do have the exact setup you mentioned in place. I am using a ups and a wemo switch which all works fine.

My issue is that I can't get past the firmware update. A few times, if I'm very fast, I've been able to click on play as soon as I start the app, and before the update firmware message appears, and the cameras will play as expected. Unfortunately this is very few and far between and certainly is not the solution...it does however prove that the system is up and running with the cameras connected.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It sounds like a possible Internet access speed issue. Have you tested actual throughput using speedtest.net? If not possible, what is the ISP supposedly supplying?

Also, is there a difference between using the app and browser?
Jobowe
Star
Star

Yes I have.  Speedtest.net gives me the results of Download = 1.29 mbps and Upload of 1.03 mbps.

I have used the app on an ipad and an Android Samsung S7 phone, as well as a browser on three different pc's....all fail to update the firmware.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'd open a case with support. The only other thing I can think of would be to factory reset and start fresh.
jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

I'd also try rebooting the router and modem (if it's separate) if they aren't connected to your weemo. If you can't reboot the modem call your ISP and see if they can do it remotely.

superspy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I seem to have the same unresponsivle problem, as of yesterday afternoon. 

How can I see if it was an automatic firmware update?

My unit is at a remote locaiton that I only go to every other month (will be there in a couple of weeks).  When I log in, just get the message for the unit that it is off line.  I logged into my router remotely too, and it is not even recoginzed on that anylonger. 

Version

2.3.2.801_16324

Released

03/23/17

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Updates are listed in the Release Notes section here but there have been no new updates beyond a week or so ago. The version you list is for the app, not the devices.

Unfortunately, physical presence will be needed. You might want to consider a UPS/battery backup for the modem, router, and base plus a remote control switch such as a WeMo for the base. That way the network and base will fly through power outages and you would have the ability to power cycle the base remotely.
superspy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.  I'm down there on the 19th and will check that out.  Hopefully a hard reboot on it does it.  I purchased the system back in June of 2016, first issue I have had with it.

Just stinks not being able to view.

superspy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Regarding the WeMo.  I have the base station plugged into a UPS; there is a PC also plugged into the same UPS.  Should the UPS be plugged into a WeMo, or should the base station be plugged into a WeMo that is plugged into a wall outlet?  Which model of WeMo would you recommend?

Thank you

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The base should be plugged into the WeMo so the base can be separately power cycled.

Any of the switches would work, depending on space for it to fit.  I happen to have the Insight but the Mini should work, too.

superspy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, and for the quick response.  This will also work for me on a number of things!

LindseySmithAK
Tutor
Tutor

Someone shouldn't have to do all of those things when there is a firmware upgrade. I have been doing this ongoing for 3 years and honestly it is tiresome. Sometimes I am not home. Then I have to reset the entire base station, take the cameras down off the top of the house and then sync them with the unit and put them back up. Ridiculous! 

loudmouth
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the Arlo Pro VMB4000r3. It tdoes the same thing. I made a report to Arlo and we troubleshooted everything. We determined it was my download/upload speeds. You must have a faster than 5.0mbs. 

Mitchellxx
Tutor
Tutor

Just purchased Arlo Pro having the same issue as has been mentioned... Firmware is not updating limiting system use... 2nd home security setup... tried on lap top,Samsung via ATand T 4G and DSL at the residence... tried thru Firfox, IE and chrome... can get the firmware update which limits any real use...cant check battery life get a plug icon, cant see live video if I need to. I can view the motion activated clips and do get email alerts.... i am pretty tech savoy but ahve exhausted all my bandwidth... please help.....Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What are your download/upload speeds?  Slow speeds can cause this to happen. A couple of alternatives:

1) move the base and that camera to a different location with higher speeds, update and then move back.

2) Remove the camera from Settings, My Devices and resync normally.

nyctown
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same issue.

My speed is not at 1-2Mbps so I am wondering if that is the issue. I find it ridiculous that there is a bandwidth requirement to the firmware update. Is there a way to update it via USB ports?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

nyctown,

Firmware updates cannot be done via USB. Some users have experienced issues receiving firmware updates due to poor internet speeds. Who is your ISP and what are your download/upload speeds?

JamesC

nyctown
Aspirant
Aspirant

The ISP is Mouna and this is in Guinea - West Africa. I have just checked the speed and I get 1.1 download and 1.1 upload. 

loudmouth
Aspirant
Aspirant
Good question I'll have to look into that.