Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Hi all,

I’m consider install 1-2 pro camera at my cabin.

I have 4G+ and have 40mbit/s approx. Until I have used 5GIG (per day) then the speed is limited to 3mbit/s.

Will it be possible for me to get something out of it, or will the result be bad/poor?

Options:
1. Constant stream to cloud

2. Only stream to cloud when activity, then will the data be limited and I can transfer with high speed since we are under 5gig per day?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gordone wrote:

If I install 2 cameras I will have approx 70 minutes total for both cameras then?

Yes.

@Gordone wrote:

the 1 mbit is the same if it Pro or Pro 2, I have consider the Pro 2 (full HD), so I can have the cameras for many years and be happy, I afraid if I by Pro (Half HD), wil need to upgrade in some years 🙂

Don`t understand how Pro and Pro 2 can have the same requirement?

The numbers have some margin in them, and Arlo specs all cameras at 1080p and below at the same bandwidth.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Gordone

40 mbps should be okay, I have provided an article that contains more information pertaining internet speed requirements. What are the minimum requirements for installing and using my Arlo system?

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Thank you for replay, but I have 40mbit only for 5000mb (per day)?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Don't forget that the important spec is for the UPLOAD speed. Check this by using the speedtest.net/Ookla app on your phone if you don't know what is being provided. 40Mbps is likely the download speed which may be faster than the upload speed.

If you only stream when recording you can minimize data usage. You can also choose a lower resolution in Settings, My Devices, your camera, Video Settings, Power Management which will decrease data usage.

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
I took a speed test 70mbit down and 30mbit upload.

I understand so I can configure to only record when movement and when I stream using the app on the phone?

Then will it only use data traffic when something happens or I’m looking at a camera?

And when the camera is active Will arlo pro 3 use 2mbit per second arlo ultra use 3mbit per second.

Is these correct understood?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's all correct. You might still want to reduce resolution (if appropriate), especially if you record a fair amount.

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
I unddrstand, thank you.

If i connect a camera to a power source will I be abel to record some second before the movement also?

If correct, how many seconds?
Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
If I’m using battery, is it possible to check battery level from the app?
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Gordone

I have provided a link that has more detailed info regarding monitoring the cameras battery.

What do my Arlo camera's battery level icons and notifications mean?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gordone wrote:
Thank you for replay, but I have 40mbit only for 5000mb (per day)?

Can you explain?  Is this an upload cap?  What would happen if you exceed it?

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
Cap per day (total down and upload) the speed is then limit to 3mbit upload/download. After 24:00, full speed again.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gordone wrote:
Cap per day (total down and upload) the speed is then limit to 3mbit upload/download. After 24:00, full speed again.

Since the cameras require at most 1 mbit upload each, they should still function ok, even if the cap is reached.

5 GB is quite a bit of streaming - about 80 minutes upload @ 1 megabit.  If you viewed every notification once over the internet, then of course that would be cut in half.   Hard to say if you'll hit the cap with the cameras installed (of course that also depends on your overall internet usage).  

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor

When I`m not at the cabin is the internett use 300-400mb per day, so it will be 4,5+ GIG left to the cameras.

the 1 mbit is the same if it Pro or Pro 2, I have consider the Pro 2 (full HD), so I can have the cameras for many years and be happy, I afraid if I by Pro (Half HD), wil need to upgrade in some years 🙂

If I install 2 cameras I will have approx 70 minutes total for both cameras then?

I think that shall be plenty for me.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Gordone wrote:

Yes.

@Gordone wrote:

The numbers have some margin in them, and Arlo specs all cameras at 1080p and below at the same bandwidth.

Gordone
Tutor
Tutor
I understand and after the approx. 70 minutes I still have 3mbit, so it should be good to go.
It’s when I’m not at the cabin I need the camera and then line is almost not in use.

Thank you all!