Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3010 cameras. how can I set my cameras off during the day when I'm home?

Discussion stats
  • 31 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

After a recent update by arlo, I can no longer set my time on and off during the day while at home.

I had the cameras off during the day to save batteries.   But can't figure out to re-set now? 

31 REPLIES 31
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Check the app mode setting has not changed.

Usually it is set to armed mode when your away from home, disarmed mode when at home.

it can be automatically set by using geofencing mode or using schedule mode.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks Danny. 

Before the update, I had my cameras on from 7PM to 7AM while at home. 

Now I can't find a way to set such up? 

I want the cameras off while at home to save batteries from all the driveway and yard motions. 

Eddie 

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You may need to check the schedule mode has not been corrupted in your account.

Try clearing the schedule and rebuild.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks again Danny. 

I will try to find out how to clear the schedule.  

I'm having a problem finding the schedule.  Will try again. 

Eddie 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Assuming you're using the old user interface (UI) that shows Library to view videos, click on Mode and then your base station. In there are your modes including the schedule. Edit the schedule, select a time period and delete it. Do this for all entries. Now, add the time periods back with the proper modes and times. Remember that spanning days requires stopping one schedule at 11:59PM and starting it again at 12:00AM.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. 

I had my system working great.  Then the update took the schedule system off. 

Now there's no listing for mode or schedule anymore???????????   

A new dashboard is listed and I don't know how to use it. 

Can't get anyone from arlo on the phone.  

I've really liked arlo for years and many friends have purchased due to my recommendation. 

Now it sucks. 

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Anyway I can get the old system back? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't go backwards and if you did the new UI would be automatically migrated in the future - the old UI is going away.

Spend some time looking through the new UI. In particular, click on Routines and notice that there are Mode and Automation selections. Not the same words necessarily but it's the same thing as before. You will find only 3 modes in Modes and you can't add custom modes so use all 3 to get what you need regardless of what the label says. WHen satisfied you've done all you can, click on Automations and then the "+" top right. Choose Add Schedule (self-explanatory) or Add Arrive/Leave (geofencing). For either one you choose individual settings rather than all in one swoop. That is, I have a Day schedule as well as a Night one, both of which activates one of the modes as desired. Geofencing works in the same way - one for Leave and another for Arrive which allows you to choose the appropriate action based on location of phones.

Different? Yes. But it works essentially the same way as the old UI.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, you for your good response. 

WOW, you really know how the new system works. 

It's so complicated for an older person like me. 

I followed your suggestion and while at home set to turn on at 8 PM. 

I did not see how to turn off.  Example 8 AM while at home.

Eddie

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, I'm 73. Age is just a number...  🙂

As noted in my first reply, you have to set a schedule to set a mode and then add another to choose a different mode. Thus, the one you already have selects a mode at 8PM but now you also have to add another schedule that starts at 8AM to use a different mode. They will automatically activate at the times selected.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Still can't set time to turn off cameras during the day and automatically turn on during the night. 

I'm getting to where I'm just getting rid of Arlo equipment and go to another company. 

This is too complicated to set up simple times. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried multiple time,  thanks to  your suggestions. 

I still can't schedule them to be  off during the day when I'm home. 

I see the sunup/sundown section, but it will only let me do one and not the other. 

Does Arlo have a instruction book for people like me? 

The previous app let me see and set up a full week to be on or off.  

Thanks for your help. 

eddie 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You seem to have the new user interface (UI) - we need all pertinent information to provide correct answers. The above link is incorrect - use this one:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062942/How-do-I-add-a-Schedule-Automation-to-my-Arlo-system

Go to Routines, click on the "+" at the top right and choose Add Schedule. You will need to create 2 schedules - one to arm the cameras at a certain time and another to turn them off. Name the schedule (maybe Night or Day) and then click on the entry that defaults to Sunrise. You can select the days you want to use the schedule there and click on Done. You can then Add An Action which would be Change Mode. For nighttime, use Armed Away which has all cameras listed so all will be armed. For daytime, use Standby.

It's fine to click on things to see what's presented so you familiarize yourself with what's available and where it is. If you make a mistake, you can just back out without saving or delete the mistake. It takes some time and effort to learn a new system but don't be afraid to try things.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

I have tried multiple ways to set my cameras off during the day when I'm home.  To save battery life. 

I have tried to do as you suggested, but I don't see how to add a schedule and name it?  

There's no way to name it. 

Is there an instruction booklet for the arlo system?  

This new system really sucks for us older users.   The old system was so easy to use. 

Eddie Craig 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm 73 and had a bit of trouble understanding how to make the new UI work to (most of) my satisfaction, including scheduling. Did you read the link I provided in my last post which talks about how to set up a schedule for the new UI? I also provided directions. I can lead you to/through the process but I can't make you follow the steps. 

Perhaps asking someone else (a friend, neighbor or relative) to help could be useful. They don't need to understand Arlo at all but just be able to follow the steps with you providing any support that may be needed.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Yes, I printed out your directions and tried to follow them. 

Went to "+" and then add schedule. 

7 days comes up and I highlight all 7 and put in 7 AM.  But it does not let me know if that is ON or OFF times. 

Then I tried to name it, but there's no place to do so?  

It does not make sense. 

I want to name a schedule HOME when I'm home and AWAY when i'm away..........that's all. 

The worse system i've had to work with and I've been around  application systems for a while. 

I just need an Owner's manual.  

Why doesn't Arlo have a owner's manual to set up a schedule? 

Eddie 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The FAQ you're reading is the "manual" for the schedule. 

I think I see your issue/confusion for naming a schedule - you're likely using a computer browser to do this. It works somewhat differently compared to the app. In the app, you just click on the "Name" at the top to set the name you want. WIth the computer, you get to the point of saving the schedule using the "Save" selection at the top but you should click on the 3 dots next to "Custom Schedule" which allows you to edit the name (Custom Schedule is just a place holder). Now that you've set everything up, select Save.

That should be spelled out in the FAQ so that those using either the app or web client can understand how the two different methods work. Of course, it would be helpful to make either method work the same as the other.  @JamesC , @ShayneS , can this be passed on for consideration?

Rusty6
Guide
Guide

Agreed!  Very disappointed in the new UI.  Arlo’s software is awful!.

Rusty6
Guide
Guide

From 10pm to 7am, I want it Armed no matter what.  From 7am to 10pm, I want it Armed or Standby based on Geofencing.  This was easy with the old UI, but can’t figure it out with the new one.  

Does anyone know??

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@Rusty6 wrote:

From 10pm to 7am, I want it Armed no matter what.  From 7am to 10pm, I want it Armed or Standby based on Geofencing.  This was easy with the old UI, but can’t figure it out with the new one.

The new UI requires that you set a schedule and geofencing twice. The schedule needs to have one set to change the mode at 7AM and another to change the mode at 10PM. Same thing for geofencing - one when you leave and another for when you return.

This should help:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062777/About-Arlo-Routines-Modes-Rules-and-Automations

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Still can't program this system with the changed solftware. 

I will have to buy another brand, I guess. 

It fairly easy with the old system. 

Since the cameras are on all the time, battery life is very short. 

They are coming on when I'm on my patio and working in the yard.  Causes many many alerts to my cell and pc. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Did you read through the link above? You should be able to easily (but somewhat differently) edit the modes and rules to do what you need.

Eddie84
Tutor
Tutor

Didn't get the link?