Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

3 cameras - 2 work great, 1 isn't sensing motion

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Nictrimble
Aspirant
Aspirant
Bought Arlo Pro from Costco earlier this week. All firmware is up to date. I'm working on iPhone and Mac laptop for configuration.

We have all three cameras setup outside.

2 cameras setup and they work great. The third won't detect motion. It is on the eaves of our second story. Is there a distance limit that it will work properly? However we had the same camera on set up on our side yard (single story height) and it didn't work there either - same location as one that is working!

I can see live on this problem camera. But the motion detection just doesn't seem to work. I have messed with motion sensitivity and didn't work. Any ideas of things to try!?

Thanks in advance!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nictrimble
Aspirant
Aspirant

I contacted support as nothing we tried would get it to notify...except when it was physically moved!  So with the help of support they determined that is was indeed malfunctioning and I needed a new camera.  

I sent it to the return center and the replacement is on it's way.  I did have to pay return shipping - which is a little lame since it didn't work out of the box...but at least HOPEFULLY we will have a fully functioning set.  

If we get additional cameras (which we plan on doing thru Costco), I will test all cameras more thoroughly BEFORE installing any of the hardware, so it would be easier to just return and exchange the entire set - for free...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Arlo Pro can detect motion about 25' out, roughly.  It depends on the area of coverage.  Have you tried using the "motion detection" test on the problem camera to see if the LED comes on when you walk past the camera? Remember, also, they detect motion better when something crosses thier path horizonally rather than directly at the camera.  I'd test the camera in position mode and see if the LED works as expected first.  If not, you may have a bad camera.  Pull the battery, reset it, resync it to base and test again.  If that doesn't work, I'd (personally) return the set to costco and exchange it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Swap cameras around. That will tell you if it's the cam or location.
Nictrimble
Aspirant
Aspirant
I did the motion detection test and it seemed to work. We did have it on the side of the house and it didn't work there either. Maybe I'll try the resync / update and see if that helps. Otherwise, yes, exchange for another at Costco. Removing all the mounts is really a pain though!!!
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I doubt you have a bad camera if the light is coming on to detection motion.  If you ARM your system and walk around in front of that camera (just in your home, for example) , do you get motion alerts and events?  I only have a single story home but you might point it more "downward" (you may need to get a different mount if you're just using the magnetic mount).  Keep in mind, from way up there on the 2nd story, the motion sensor may struggle to see any motion unless its very close.  I'd bring that camera down to the first floor (rather than mounting it so high) and you will probably have much better results with it.  

Nictrimble
Aspirant
Aspirant

I contacted support as nothing we tried would get it to notify...except when it was physically moved!  So with the help of support they determined that is was indeed malfunctioning and I needed a new camera.  

I sent it to the return center and the replacement is on it's way.  I did have to pay return shipping - which is a little lame since it didn't work out of the box...but at least HOPEFULLY we will have a fully functioning set.  

If we get additional cameras (which we plan on doing thru Costco), I will test all cameras more thoroughly BEFORE installing any of the hardware, so it would be easier to just return and exchange the entire set - for free...