Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

2nd request - recording delay

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cameras detect motion , but recording starts a few seconds after seeing motion.  Thus, if a Fedex guy leaves a package on my porch, I get a notification.  But the vidio shows only 1-2 seconds of the guy leaving the screen.  How do I get the camear to record as soon as it sees motion?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With the original and Pro cameras, positioning is key so the delay still gives you a usable video. There will always be this delay since the camera has to first detect motion and then create a connection with the server. A 2-3 second lag is the best you can get. Thus, positioning the camera to allow detection perhaps further away with motion across the FOV, not towards the camera, is important. There's an FAQ here that spells this all out.

Post a screenshot so we can see and maybe offer suggestions.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro has pretty good response when set up properly....

Read this... https://kb.arlo.com/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-or-Arlo-Pro-Wire-Free-camera

But also remember that best placement may not be at your door area but away a bit facing the door.  The Pro can sense people to a max of 25 ft, so try not to cover an area more than 20ft for a good response.

Here's a pic of an Arlo ( first gen camera ) and how it is placed for me and the response;

cam5.JPG

As you can see the cam is out from the door, as the person walks in they trigger the cam and I capture it from that time and the walk away ( getting face ) ...  It is only set for 10 secs as most poeple don't stay there long. ( and  I have a second cam on the other side )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
sarigibson1
Aspirant
Aspirant

i agree that I see all my libery vidos couple mintues later can you please improve this because Fed ex was there and he left between door and he alomost broke my door .

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Videos should be available seconds after the video is completely uploaded. Upload speeds may be part of this - what are your speeds as measured by speedtest.net?

sarigibson1
Aspirant
Aspirant

i booster on my internet So its not that problem 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

sarigibson1,

What is your recording length set to? The clip will only arrive in the library after the video has completely finished recording (for example, if the length is set to 30 seconds, 30 seconds will have to pass before the video is sent to the library)

JamesC

required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry for the delay - business trip.

Apparently, I didn't word my question correctly.  My problem isn't length of recording, but delay before recording starts.  Someone walking past my front door will trigger the camera sensor, but all I get on the video playback is . . . nothing.  By the time the camera starts recording, the person is already out of screen.  How do I get the recording to begin withut the delay?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

With the original and Pro cameras, positioning is key so the delay still gives you a usable video. There will always be this delay since the camera has to first detect motion and then create a connection with the server. A 2-3 second lag is the best you can get. Thus, positioning the camera to allow detection perhaps further away with motion across the FOV, not towards the camera, is important. There's an FAQ here that spells this all out.

Post a screenshot so we can see and maybe offer suggestions.

required_alias
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sadly, you're right.  I have a 6-9 second delay.  I've changed the camera position and I'll see if it helps.