Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

1st camera has delay before recording. 2nd camera doesn't detect motion. 3rd camera battery dead

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Mattl55
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 1 camera above my front door which works ok, although I don’t seem to have a “running man” in my settings. It isn’t 190% flawless and has a delay before recording.
My second camera is at the back of my house , using the same WiFi connection but through an extension router. I can view live mode but it does not detect motion and subsequently no recordings . Motion detect mode does not give a yellow light flashing . Again no “running man”
My 3rd camera battery died after not much use, pretty poor tbh.
Can anyone help?

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mattl55 wrote:

My second camera is at the back of my house , using the same WiFi connection but through an extension router.

Pro-2s don't connect to your home wifi.  They connect on a closed WiFi connection to your base station (which then connects to your home router with wired ethernet).

I suggest switching the two cameras, and see if the problem moves with the camera (or not).

Mattl55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen.

Sorry, yes ofcourse they go through the base station. I have switched the devices but can still bot get the motion sensor and recording to work , although live view works( with a delay). Is my only option to move the base station ( would be tricky to locate) or is there a wifi extender for the arlo?

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mattl55 wrote:

is there a wifi extender for the arlo?

There is no extender.  It is possible to purchase a second base station if range is the problem.  But I don't think you've established that yet.

How close is the base station to the router?  Does everything work correctly when the cameras are fairly close to it (~10 feet)?

Mattl55
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s about 20m from router . Yes works ok if closer to router. The motion detector test works intermittently at 20m( security cam for garden)
2-3 second delay on live view mode, so clearly there is a connection to camera.
No motion video recording st this range at all

Mattl55
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just to add, even the cam near to base station (10ft) has a delay of half a second or so on recording. Is this just slow start up for recording ? Sensitivity for motion is at 100%

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Mattl55 wrote:
Just to add, even the cam near to base station (10ft) has a delay of half a second or so on recording. Is this just slow start up for recording ? 

There is a delay before recording starts (and there can be a delay of several seconds before live streaming begins).

20m might be too far (and the signal also needs to traverse your walls and any other obstructions).  You could maybe try testing the base station in a different location (maybe purchasing an inexpensive long ethernet cable for the test).