Suggestions on an outdoor camera

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
targe
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, we’ve had the Pro 4s with the doorbell so at this point we are somewhat financially invested. Long story short, the front pro 4 camera has somehow managed to get water into the unit, it was hooked up to a solar charger (Arlo branded) and stopped recording, then the battery died. I chalked it up to cloudy weather and no sun. I let it sit for a few weeks until I finally had time to go up and get it down. I hit the release for the camera and water dumped out of it. The inside housing has bluish and brown marks, which I am assuming is corrosion from water. I have let it dry out for over 48 hours but there still appears to be moisture coming out of the camera part of the unit (not the housing).

I’m pretty fed up with these cameras as ive had to deal with an array of issues with either the camera or the solar panel. I’m going to give it one more shot with buying a single camera and I’m looking for what the most reliable outdoor camera is. We live in a Midwest state that does get cold and get snow in the winter, if that matters.

My rear camera hasn’t failed yet but I am assuming it’s because it wasn’t fully exposed and is under an awning. New camera would be getting mounted under an awning.

Not looking to break the bank, and would switch if I didn’t have to go all in on a new doorbell and camera set up.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure if this will help your decision process or not.

But there are two main ways for water to get into a Pro 4/Pro 5s/Ultra camera with the standard mount.  Once is through the charging port, the second is through the front gasket.  I believe the front gasket is more vulnerable, since it is so much bigger.  Both can be protecting using some silcone grease.  Putting a rain cover over the camera should also help (there are many options out there for security cameras).  You could also look for camera enclosures (for instance, one that looks like a bird house,  with the camera facing out the hole).

I believe the total security mount is a bit more vulnerable, because the housing is integrated with the mount.  Water can potentially get in where the mount connects to the wall plate or the joint where the camera pivots.

It's possible that the Essential cameras would have better resistance to water penetration than the Pro/Ultras, since the housing is fully sealed.  So the charging port would be the main way in.  Still, a rain cover or enclosure would be a good idea if you get torrential rain, and it still might be vulnerable to wind-driven rain (hurricanes, etc).