Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have two Pro 5 cameras that are connected directly to wifi and they both say need to update the firmware but when you click on “ update firmware” nothing happens.  The firmware doesn’t update and it still shows that I need to update the firmware.  My other pro 5 cameras that are connected to the base station do not have this issue.  
has anyone had this issue today and how did you resolve it?

69 REPLIES 69
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo-help2,

Have you remotely restarted the camera? You must do this for the fix mentioned above to allow the firmware update to complete.

JamesC

lillebeorn
Tutor
Tutor

That did the trick for me, thank you JamesC - and thank the dev team for getting on this so fast. And while you're at it, let them know to double and triple and quadruple check their code before release haha.

user7653
Guide
Guide

I can confirm that (using the app) restarting, then applying the update does work. At least on the 9 cameras I had with this problem. 

thx to support for getting this fixed quickly 

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I clicked on “restart” on one of my cameras and it didn’t restart…..this camera is fully charged and 5’ from Wifi with a great signal

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

My two cameras have finally updated the firmware….and are back….dang…this shouldn’t be so difficult

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you JamesC for getting this issue resolved.  I really appreciate it…

Maxq104
Aspirant
Aspirant

Mine finally updated!

Andy8
Guide
Guide

This worked for me - The "restart" is the bit that is important.
Go to Devices

-> select a camera

-> click on cog, top right, to get to Device Settings

-> then click on camera name to get to Device Info

There is a Restart button at the bottom (above the remove device)

Andy8
Guide
Guide

Also note that extra step was required for the camera that support got me to remove and re-add, that then failed to update firmware during the re-add process. 

This camera failed to successfully update after a restart.

I was required to again removed and re-added it for it to work again.  Fortunately when I removed it, it went into search mode, so doing a re-add was able to discover it, so didn't need physically remove the camera and hit the reset button, did need to show the camera the QR code though.

user7653
Guide
Guide

Having just bought 9 new 5S cameras none of that gives me confidence. Especially for cameras placed in inconvenient locations. Hopefully, this firmware issue is a rarity. 

The irony is the old netgear cameras that are "out of support" have had no issues and have been very reliable for 2+ years (they came along with the house). Less than a month into buying 3x3packs of new 5S cameras this doesn't give me tons of confidence. Hopefully, it's a one-time issue. 

Andy8
Guide
Guide

I feel exactly the same - I've had my cameras for about 10 days.  Was reasonably upset when I could no longer get realtime feed because it wanted me to do a firmware update, I mean why disable that ability for any scenario? And then to have the update fail.  Yeah - was just about to take them back, really unimpressed with the software usability, I have found it quite unintuitive where go to do certain things - like restart.  And on the website how to disable/enable the animal detection - can't find a way to do it on the app.  And website often seems to take me not to top page, but a lower page where I can't get back to the top page.  And so many advertisements when I just want to quickly get to my management screen.  Think about what your customers most want to do and make it simple people. Rant over.

dailey760
Initiate
Initiate

I currently have 3 Arlo Pro 5S 2K cameras that are only 2 months old. I cannot get anything to happen when I try to update the firmware. I have shut the camera off and then back on via the Arlo App. Very frustrated!!

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dailey760…..do a restart for each individual camera through the app then do the firmware update.  You have to restart the camera before it will work

mrvollmer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Afrer firmware update camera is now offline, and will not reconnect.  I will have to now get a ladder and take camera down to remove the battery to reset it.   I hope this will reconnect it. 

jfencl
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am having the same issue as well.  I just noticed that there was an update but it fails on all cameras.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jfencl,

Restart the camera by pulling the battery or through the Arlo Secure mobile app, allow the camera to come back online and then attempt the firmware update. This should allow the update to be completed.

JamesC

golden_knight
Initiate
Initiate

I just bought mine this is terrible, I have had Arlo before and never had this nonsense. It should never stop you from seeing the live feed if you want to this was very disturbing to my wife.  I got one camera to do the update, but this is too much nonsense I may return the cameras.  Hopefully they fix the app or the firmware so that the updates are more automatic just click update and then it restarts it for you and all that.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

golden_knight,

You should not experience this issue moving forward. This behavior was a specific issue with this firmware release that has since been resolved. In the future, your cameras should update either automatically, or when you initiate the upgrade using the Arlo Secure mobile app without the need to restart the device before updating.

JamesC

Alohaliao
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same issue, Arlo is really starting to piss me off I'm probably going to leave. These new 5S cameras is expensive and they can't even freaking update?  What a joke, Ive always had issues with them and the old essential spotlight cameras they replace. 

pathetic what you pay for and their support sucks.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alohaliao,

If you're experiencing an error when attempting to update your camera, a restart should resolve of the issue. Restart the camera by pulling the battery or through the Arlo Secure mobile app, allow the camera to come back online and then attempt the firmware update. This is not normally something you will need to do to complete a firmware update, but there was a specific issue with this most recent firmware that may require a camera restart for some users. For future updates, this will not be necessary.

JamesC

Pober
Aspirant
Aspirant

Tried the solution. Doesn’t work for me. Any other suggestions?

Andy8
Guide
Guide

Hey Pober,
Did you also try removing and re-adding the camera?
This worked for me for the one that I had stuck, due to earlier trying the remove and re-add battery before arlo fixed the issue.
So full sequence would be:

1) remove device from app

Go to Devices

-> select a camera

-> click on cog, top right, to get to Device Settings

-> then click on camera name to get to Device Info

There is a [remove device] button on bottom of screen

2) re-add device

- remove / re-add battery - flashing blue light

- click plus symbol and go through steps to add

3) can't recall if I needed to actively cause update, think it just happened when I re-added.

Deemarmail
Guide
Guide

No luck here, whether restarting and then initiating the update after it comes back up, and even with removing and re-adding my device. It even tries to update when re-adding, but no luck there either. Flashes blue and orange for a while, but eventually in the app it still says it needs an update.

Having said that, it's only one of my 2 cameras that won't update; the first updated automatically a few nights back.

Such bad timing -- about to go on a holiday, and one of my cameras that I got to keep an eye on my place is now useless.

I'm not sure why a camera needs to be rendered useless while waiting to be updated..? It was working fine without the update

Deemarmail
Guide
Guide

Just some more notes... I've noticed that camera 1, which updated itself the other night downloaded about 20MB (can see in router logs), but camera 2 showed barely internet activity whatsover, even when it's flashing blue and orange and supposed to be updating.

Just thought I'd put that in here in case it's of any use.

Thanks

Deemarmail
Guide
Guide

PS. I can see it's trying the newer update now: 1.040.27.5_55_b4f750a

But results haven't changed. Restarting and trying again; no luck. Removing device and re-adding; tries an update, but fails