Cameras go flat after losing connection

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Demon7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Home internet went down for 5 days and in that time camera batteries went flat. They were on 90% charge previously.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Demon7 wrote:

Home internet went down for 5 days and in that time camera batteries went flat. They were on 90% charge previously.

Was your home wifi also down?

Or was the wifi working, but with no internet connection?

Demon7
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am not certain but I believe the wifi was working but there was no internet.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Demon7 wrote:

I am not certain but I believe the wifi was working but there was no internet.

The reason I am asking is that the cameras do use a lot of power when they are trying to re-establish their wifi connection.  I don't know how that compares to the case where the wifi is up, but the internet is down.

Demon7
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks Stephen. I can't confirm either way unfortunately.  Would be good if connection attempts were  controlled a bit then. On the other hand what does happen if the wifi is up but internet is down.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Demon7 wrote:

Thanks Stephen. I can't confirm either way unfortunately.  Would be good if connection attempts were  controlled a bit then. On the other hand what does happen if the wifi is up but internet is down.

The camera will try to connect to the Arlo Cloud - but I don't know how often.  Impact on power might depend on whether the camera is connected through a smarthub, or not.

Not something I've tried to test, and my internet service is very reliable, so I haven't experienced this scenario.