Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 50 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hello all. Just got my Arlo Pro 5, and the the Arlo solar panel pro. (To replace my old Arlos)
The solar panel is Model 

‎VMA5600B-20000S

I charged the battery, with regular power, and it charged fine. I stopped at 95%. 
As of now, the battery is down to 92%. And since I installed the solar panel, I’m not getting the solar panel icon, and I’m getting an error as soon as I connect. The error says: “unable to charge battery. Connect a compatible Arlo charger to the device”—-

I read about the firmware update fix. The camera did a firmware update when I did the set up. The current firmware is 1.040.26.1_48_00482f9. 
Any troubleshooting ideas?
Many thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

A week passed, and I think we can consider this issue resolved. 
The new firmware, without any changes on our side (hardware and software) fixed the problem.  

View solution in original post

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

There has been a firmware update: 1.040.26.2_56_6649b4f that should help resolve this issue. Please let me know if you are still experiencing this after your cameras have updated. 

Thank you 

50 REPLIES 50
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If cleaning both sides of the magnetic connection doesn't help, I'd be inclined to swap the solar panel at the store.

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for answering.

That is what I was thinking.  The connection ends are very clean. 
I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything. Is the firmware I’m using the latest one?  (Even though the latest firmware fix was related to not charging, and not, no connection). 

I read every post, and every troubleshooting article. And my understanding is that when you connect the ‘magnetic connection’, it should at least display the little sun icon in the app. 
I bought it from the Arlo Amazon store. So it’s an easy exchange. I just hope their whole batch is not faulty. I will update this post when I receive the new one. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can always check your firmware against the release notes section here:

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

However, your post indicates a version at least 1 step beyond what's published (the Pro 5 is the very first post in the above link), as is mine. I guess a new firmware was recently pushed but the note hasn't been published. Anyways, you're up to date.

The sun icon is one clue but also the battery icon should have a lightning bolt through it:

https://kb.arlo.com/000038930/What-do-my-Arlo-camera-s-battery-level-icons-and-notifications-mean

If both are missing, that certainly goes along with the error message.

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Bad news. Purchased another Arlo Solar Panel, and as soon as I plug it in, I get the error saying solar panel was not compatible. 

No app solar icons. It does not connect. It only recognizes the solar panel as a non compatible.  But I can connect the camera to electrical power.

I called tech support. And they asked me to reinstall the camera. I did. And the firmware 040.26.1_48_00482f9. was already up to date. 

No ideia no how to proceed. 
I bet the new firmware that is out now, might have introduced another solar problem while it fixed the other one.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The idea that the newest firmware has an issue is certainly possible so stay on support. Any chance you or a friend has another camera that uses the magnetic connector to test on? @JamesC or @ShayneS  - any idea what may be going on with the firmware being newer than what's listed?

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Don’t have a friend with a camera. After another hour with tech support yesterday, they asked me to return one of my panels that I purchased from the Amazon Arlo Store, to them. And they said that I will receive one from them. I believe it when I see it. Since I have not received any email confirming that. 

No ideia why the firmware that I’m running is a higher number. But because of that, I’m not going to be surprised if a change broke something else. 
What’s interesting is that the print on the boxes of the panels don’t state the model 5S on it. It goes up to the pro 4. The description on the Arlo amazon store does say that is for the 5s. And the model number is the right one. I wonder if Arlo has a different batch of panels in their warehouse that is newer, and perhaps, compatible. Since the error I’m getting on both labels is that is not compatible. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Carioca88 wrote:

What’s interesting is that the print on the boxes of the panels don’t state the model 5S on it. 

The Pro 5s is a new model, so it's not surprising that it's not on the print boxes yet.  Probably it will be added when Arlo needs to do the next print run (and even then, it will take time for the inventory in the stores to refresh).

But that panel works with all Arlo cameras that use the magnetic connectors.

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

After two 90 minute call with tech support since last week, without a solution, they told me that I was going to get another solar panel.  Since after 24 hours I didn’t hear back and my support ticket with all my notes, had disappeared, without my issue being resolved, I decided to call again. They apologized for not sending me the solar panel yet, and escalated to a manager who told me I was going to get an email in about an hour. I did get the email. And the solar panel did ship last night.  Again, what were they expecting? That I just forget about the issue? 
Per the email, the panel should arrive on Thursday. 
I was a beta tester of Arlo, before Arlo was even Arlo (little Netgear câmeras). I tested a large number of cameras. And I had a direct contact with them. To make sure products would ship, without bugs. 
Well, it looks like things changed. Installing a solar panel should not be complicated. 
A faster solution would be just an exchange of both camera and solar panel. It could be resolved in one day. With a 5 minute phone call. And it would cost them a lot less. 
I’m really curious to see if the issue is indeed related to the solar panel. This will be solar panel number 3. 
I will report back. And hopefully with good news. 

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

The soap opera continues. 
Received solar panel number 3. 
It still does not connect. No icon on the app.

Just spent another 30 minutes with Arlo support. Did all the tests again. Removed battery, etc. 

When I bring the camera inside the house and connect to the power, the camera charges without an issue. 
Arlo is escalating to the next level support. 
Wouldn’t be a lost faster to just send me a new camera? This camera is not even two weeks old. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Carioca88 wrote:

Wouldn’t be a lost faster to just send me a new camera? This camera is not even two weeks old. 

Likely faster and easier to exchange it with the seller.

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

I bought it from Arlo. And I’m trying to return it.  Not as easy as returning to any other store. 

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Update: I went to Best Buy, and purchased a brand new Pro 5s. The first one is from Arlo.com

The new camera does not connect to any of the three Arlo solar panels as well.

They all charge with the regular power. The solar panel does not even connect. No icon.

I got a return label, and will return one of the them. I will keep one camera and one solar panel, hoping that Arlo will figure out (or accept) that we have an issue.

This camera model is still not for sale on Amazon. That’s why they are not getting 100s of calls like they did with the 4s and the solar panels. The firmware fixed that problem. But not the 5s.

Any gurus or Arlo techs here that can raise my concern at Arlo.

Again, I was an Arlo beta tester for many years. I worked with Cristine. So I’m willing to test the fix. But we do need a fix.   Many thanks. 

@JamesC

@jguerdat

@StephenB

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB and I don't work for Arlo and have no access to any engineering departments. I was one of two superusers (the only ones back then), including @TomMac , who flew to San Jose for a meet and greet with Arlo folks including Dawn and Christine. 

However, no superuser has any contact with any engineering department. Everyone, including you and I, can contact the Arlo folks here ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) but that's it. Your only choice is to use any contact with support to raise the issue and keep it in the forefront.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru
Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB 

Yes. On both Pro 5 cameras. And tried all three solar panels on both of them. 
I don’t know of anyone with the 5s and solar panels that is working. Do you? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Carioca88 wrote:

I don’t know of anyone with the 5s and solar panels that is working. Do you? 

I haven't seen any posts either way.

I have a Pro 5s, but never connected it to my panel.  It's raining today, so no point in moving cameras around to test it.  But if I have a chance on the next sunny day, I'll give it a go.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Had an opportunity to actually try this. I took my Pro 5 to the solar panel powering my Go 2 which was showing charging going on. Disconnected the panel from the Go 2 and connected to the Pro 5 multiple times with no success. I would say it's not just you...

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Had an opportunity to actually try this. I took my Pro 5 to the solar panel powering my Go 2 which was showing charging going on. Disconnected the panel from the Go 2 and connected to the Pro 5 multiple times with no success. I would say it's not just you...

Tagging the mods ( @JamesC and @ShayneS ) so they can make sure this is reported.

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

@jguerdat 

You just made my day! Seriously.  

Believe it or not, after over 4 hours with Arlo’s tech support and a ticket with many pages, during yesterday’s call, the tech asked me: 

“Can you try one more thing? Check if the camera cover clicked, and you are getting enough sun” 

I was very polite and told him, that I tried that a couple of times. LOL

I really appreciate you going out of your way to help me convince then that we have a serious issue.

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me.  5s camera has been up 2 weeks connected to Arlo solar panel.  Was working and charging correctly and keeping it between 98-100% until yesterday.  The icon was showing charging but the camera was at 87% and would not charge the camera.  Disconnected the solar panel and reconnected it and then said 98% and charged to 99% but then icon said it wasn’t charging.

TODAY….no icon showing and shows it is charged to 87% so it is drawing the battery.  Something has changed in the last couple of days.  The firmware is up to date and it is the correct solar panel attached.

I have a pro 2 that has a solar panel on it and it is working just fine….charged to 100% today.

please let me know if anyone figures out a resolution to this issue….

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have a ticket with Arlo support. That is now two weeks old. They are still on denial.

If you call them and raise a ticket, it will help. The hold is not long, and they will just ask you some basic questions to try to ‘fix it’. 

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I will call them.  
Question.  …….is your camera connected to wifi or base station?  2 days ago we changed from 2.4g to 5g.  Wondering if it was connected to the base station would make a difference.  We had an issue 2 days ago that this and another 5s camera was not detecting motion or recording.  I turned the camera off and then back on and that seemed to fix it as they are both detecting motion.  

I just need to get this dang solar panel to work correctly….the solar panel for the pr2 works so well ….

Carioca88
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m connected directed to an Orbi router. So the camera is connected to 2.4 and 5.0.

I don’t think the base will make a difference. They had the same issue with the previous models two months ago and the released firmware fix mentions all models up to the pro 4. It does not mention the 5s. 
I believe that since the 5s is not selling on Amazon yet, they are not getting a large number of calls. As a matter of fact they are only available directly from Arlo and from Best Buy. 
I did have a disconnect issue two days ago as well. And it came back by itself. So maybe they had a quick outage. 

I also can’t wait to be using the solar panel that I purchased since that was one of the main reasons I got an Arlo again. 

Arlo-help2
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have not talked to a live person yet but did chat wit a person in technical support but got disconnected.  I will call tomorrow. My solar panel stil not charging.  No solar icon.

have you made any progress to resolve the charging issue?