Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - unreliable junk (missing events, taking snapshots). Pro 4 in same location works fine.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have not seen any reports of that behavior. Can you please try to uninstall the app and reinstall it and see if you see a difference in speed?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Think I've already tried that, but will do it again then test / report back.

PS: I think there are a couple others in this thread above who have commented on this recent change in behavior.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Deleted the App.

Did a power off / power on reset of the iPhone.

Downloaded a fresh copy of the App.

Did a power off / power on reset of the iPhone.

Stepped out / walked in front of a couple 5s cams.

Slow, same as before...

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN can you get someone to investigate server/cloud side congestion? Pro 5S are definitely slower than my Pro 4 at detecting (sending push notification) and publishing to the video feed.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I am already on it. I will update you all as soon as I can. 

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I would like to mention that I have experienced almost a month without videos on a particular amera, but on rare occasions, a single missing video unexpectedly appears in my feed. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you DM the serial number of the camera that is not working?

WLynne
Guide
Guide
Firmware 1.040.28.17_194_ac9359b
Hardware VMC4060AerH5
Serial Number AEC13A7FD08D1
a102768
Aspirant
Aspirant

I assumed the slowness was the new app as I was forced to move to it when I switched from my Essential Spotlight camera to the Pro 5 but it really is hopeless. The old app and camera used to update pretty much instantly but I have to wait for 10 seconds or so for things to appear in my feed most times.

I bought a hub recently (4540) in the hope that streaming locally might somehow help and have so far moved my doorbell and old Spotlight camera over to it. I am loath to do the Pro though as when I look at the devices screen now the other two initially just display a grey box and take quite a few seconds to actually show anything useful.

My other bugbear is how far behind the live stream is to reality. One of my penalties for taking up both parking spots in the garage with my toys is that I have to remotely open the garage door for my wife when she comes home so that she doesn't have to ferret though her handbag for her remote. She is usually already walking though the house when I see the garage door open on the camera feed!

The Pro is missing a lot of activity compared to Essential. It rarely captures my wife walking and from her car and on Tuesday didn't even capture her reversing out of the drive!

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@WLynne I am showing 260 recordings in the last 7 days. Can you please dm me the rules you set up for that particular camera as well as a screenshot of the feed and as well as a screenshot of when you go to devices and click on the camera in question. It is showing a weak signal, is there any way you can move the camera to see if a better signal resolved the behavior you are seeing?

@a102768 I have seen some reports of slowness within this thread. I have sent that information to our development team and I will update the community as soon as possible. 

Kenny7522
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am a new user and using

Camera: Pro5

Smart hub: VMB4540

USB: SanDisk 512GB Ultra Fit USB 3.2 Flash Drive

Subscription: No

The camera and smart hub connected to wifi.

Smart hub record locally.

Storage status is good.

Port forwarding is enabled and available.

Camera has notifications when motions detected in Arm mode.
But there is no recording.

Nothing in Feed.

0 storage used in USB disk.

Even I tried to reinstall all the app, camera and smart hub.

it still can not record any video.

Anyone can help me?

thank you so much.

Kind regards,

Kenny

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kenny7522 wrote:

Nothing in Feed.

That's not where you look for local recordings.  Instead you need to 

• go to the Devices Page
  • select the smarthub
  • select storage settings

Of course there could be something else going on as well.  But you won't find any recordings in Feed, so no point in looking there.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN, hope you're doing OK...question please.

As you can imagine, getting tired of constantly spending so much time with WIFI 5s issues over the months, that I'm toying with the idea of putting them back on Base Stations for a while.

But I've learned that Base Stations force the 5s cams back to pre-WIFI Field Trial Firmware.

And then if I wanted to occasionally switch back to see if WIFI was working any better, the improved WIFI related firmware would have to be available for me to download.

Can we get a date when the current working WIFI 5s firmware will be available to download when we need it, like if moving 5s cams from a Base Station back to WIFI ?

Thanks

a102768
Aspirant
Aspirant

@Kenny7522 , you need to connect your camera to the hub, not the wifi.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Good morning...in checking a few things this morning as I usually do, I discovered that my WIFI connected 5s cams all had a new firmware # showing in their device pages:

Firmware #  1.050.33.3_41_9322fd

So far, I can't tell any difference in operation...Feed updates are still slow.

Do we know what this particular firmware is all about ?

Thanks

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There were no new firmwares released. All your cameras should just be on the field trial. There is only a field trial for those on the Wi-Fi not the basestation. Let me check to see if there is any updates on this and I will let you all know. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN   My Pro5s Firmware history / status:

Pro5s Firmware while on a Base Station was…and still is:

# 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

Checking for updates on the Base Station Pro5s, it says No Updates Available.

........................................................................................................

A few weeks ago, my WIFI Pro5s cams were changed to Field Trial Firmware:

# 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8.

........................................................................................................

Then last night (07.31.24) my WIFI Pro5s cams firmware was changed to:
# 1.050.33.3_41_9322fd5

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN / @roundball 

My Pro 5S have also been changed to 1.050.33.3_41_9322fd5 firmware. 

By the naming convention this is indeed a new firmware. I think you need to get an update from the dev team. 

That said, if they aren't keeping you in the loop. what hope do we have as mere-mortal customers.

I presume the FTF (field trial firmware) changes have been rolled up into this update?

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I wish to confirm that all seven of my cameras, Arlo Pro 5 and older, have the following firmware and version.

Firmware 1.050.33.3_41_9322fd5

Version 4.16.1_1
Released Jul 24, 2024

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It is not a firmware release, however it has changes to the field trial to help with other behaviors that were being seen. When the actual firmware comes out, I will update the community. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

How can I get this latest firmware installed on my 5s that’s on a Base Station?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It should automatically go to any of the cameras that are on the field trial. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

How Can I get the latest Firmware installed on it ?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you talking about the firmware on the field trial? Or the firmware that is not released yet? Because all your cameras should already be on the Field Trial.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Talking about a fifth 5s that’s currently on a base station…