Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@TripleSeven that should be resolved with the firmware update that is rolling out. I do apologize for the frustration. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Reference your comment ".....with the firmware update that's rolling out..."

You mean the Field Trial Firmware...or an official production version of the FTF ? 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The actual production one that I answered about yesterday. 

gdz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now my 5S keeps going offline. It stayed connected for a month or so, and then this morning it says offline. So I try the easy stuff. Then I take the camera down, reset, reconnect, also put it on 5G as well as 2.4. And it appears to be working. It is showing me the camera view as I put it up. I then go in the house 30 minutes later and its offline again.

What can I do to fix this.

I recently had a knee replacement a few weeks ago, so going up on a ladder to pull the camera is something I really need to minimize.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@gdz please reach out to support. You can get there within the app on your mobile device click on the silhouette on the top left ~ support center ~ the device that you are needing assistance with then choose the issue.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

That's what Arlo doesn't seem to get: you can't expect your customers to be climbing up to constantly reset your poorly executed products. Honestly, what planet are those people on? 

gdz
Aspirant
Aspirant

@BrookeN Thank you. It looks like I might be put on the trial firmware now (version ends in FC8). We will see if that fixes the problem.

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I posted several comments, including one on July 11th at 2:42 pm, on a similar thread.

I didn't encounter any issues with my old cameras, but they have now reached the end of their life.  I have one extender, but I can't say it made much of an impact. 

This morning,  my backyard neighbour experienced a break-in at 8:45 am today via his back patio door and asked if my camera captured anything.

The last recording on that camera was on Wednesday, July 10, at 9:33 a.m., when it captured the movement of my trees.

The first recording on July 11 was at 10:39 a.m., capturing the movement of my neighbour on Thursday, July 11, at 10:39 a.m., notwithstanding that I get a lot of animals visiting my garden, such as raccoons, cats, possums, and the odd fox.

Many factors could be at play, including my trees, the angle of my camera, and my desire for security yet not wanting to intrude on another’s privacy.

Wanting to assist my neighbour, I checked the camera covering my front and street. Although the motion was set on high, there were absolutely no recordings for July 7, 8, 9, or 11th, the day of the break-in.

On May 14, 2024, I woke up to a flat tire on my car.  The side wall of the front tire on the driver’s side had been slashed in three places in view of the camera, but unfortunately, I could not provide the police with any image. 

I tried to analyze the situation and convince myself that maybe the culprit was aware of the camera. 

As I mentioned, I did not have a problem with coverage with my old cameras. I think I will once again contact Bell. Maybe these cameras are more of a drain on the wi-fi. 

PS

In addition, from time to time, I receive a snapshot rather than a video recording.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We do have a firmware rolling out that address the behavior you are seeing. However, we do have a field trial I can get the Pro 5 moved to and we can see if it helps with the behavior you are seeing. Let me know if you would like me to proceed with that. 

Narrowroad
Tutor
Tutor

I’m seeing big improvements with the new firmware. No snapshots or missed events. Thank you!! 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@WLynne yes this is the bug that has plagued pro 5 / pro 5S for months and months.

the only acknowledgment you’ll get is from this forum and thankfully @BrookeN.

Arlo Support will blame everything else except their own product, it’s amazing their deflection strategy. Utter contempt springs to mind with how this company treats their customers allowing them to be lulled into a false sense of security with zero acknowledgment of a major defect with this product.

@BrookeN while field trial firmware does improve the situation, what about the ongoing occasional snapshots occurring still on mine?
I presume there is some awareness internally of this and why it’s premature to release it broadly? We’ve exchanged messages directly and I’ve provided evidence of screenshots/time stamps already.

Please do not try to direct me back to support - “Jeffrey” unfortunately was next to useless. 

Also, despite Gen assuring me the case would not be closed, it has been already. 

Could you get it re-opened please?

Unfortunately yet another absolute FAIL from the official support channels.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It is not closed it is still being looked into. I understand you are still seeing certain behaviors which I have been keeping track of and passing all that information along. Jeffrey is working with the engineering team on a resolution on the behavior you are seeing. I do understand the frustration, however we are still working on it. It is indeed not closed. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN that is incorrect, the case (43965433) has been closed.

When I try to reply:
This case has been closed. If you need assistance, please submit a new case

See the following screenshot: https://ibb.co/QbTpyPZ

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

FWIW, in spite of our frustration with arlo support in general, we all want to be sure that YOU know we appreciate your outstanding attitude & willingness to help us.....5 Gold Stars for you for sure !

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chicane I have let support know to reach back out to you. I am unsure why that case was closed but I will make sure someone reaches out to you. 

@roundball thank you! I do appreciate your kind words. 

DudeNJmad
Tutor
Tutor

I'm tired of this damned camera.  I have 100s of snapshots taken per week.  I want to disable the snapshot feature entirely.  And yes motion detection is very delayed. A person will pass within the detection range and the recording will start as they're leaving that area. 

DudeNJmad
Tutor
Tutor

So is your development team still looking into this cuz this is quite annoying. I'm not going to buy any more of your products once this camera dies and if I have to hit it with a hammer I will. I have hundreds of snapshots taken per week. How difficult is it to write software that can just say disable snapshots

DudeNJmad
Tutor
Tutor

So where is this firmware you speak of?  I still have hundreds of snapshots per week and crappy motion detection on this specific model. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I just moved your Pro 5 to the field trial. Please allow 24 hours for it to show up. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN thanks. Case is still closed. Is it even technically possible to re open it? 

Also could you DM me the name of the person who closed it off? It was meant to remain open. I get that someone has done it to make their stats look better and the problem non-existent. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

FYI, I just received a status update about 5s Field trial Firmware:

“…..As per checking with our system tool, the firmware version of the Arlo Pro 5 cameras is no longer showing it is on field trial. Kindly advise if the cameras are working now as expected (Recording instead of taking snapshots)…..”

…………………………………………………………………………….

My reply was:

07/18/24 Current Firmware on Four 5s cameras;

Cam #1=1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

Cam #2=1.040.28.15_167_1880273

Cam #3=1.040.28.17_194_ac8359b

( was Field Trial 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8 )

Cam #4=1.040.28.17_194_ac8359b

( was Field Trial 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8 )

I need the latest working Firmware on Cam#1 and Cam#2.

How can I get it for them?

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball my two Pro 5S that are in use (that has field trial firmware) are now on 1.040.28.17_194_ac8359b as well.

@BrookeN is this new firmware an updated field trial firmware or a new public release?
have they ironed out all the bugs with this one?

Are release notes available?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

Not trying to answer for @BrookeN ...just sharing the text from the Arlo reply I received...that implies the Field Trial Firmware no longer exists.

FYI, I just received a status update about 5s Field trial Firmware:

“…..As per checking with our system tool, the firmware version of the Arlo Pro 5 cameras is no longer showing it is on field trial. Kindly advise if the cameras are working now as expected (Recording instead of taking snapshots)…..”

So I 'assume' the current 5s Firmware that replaced the Field Trial is the public release that's now slowly going out.

(@BrookeN will be able to clarify for sure...she's trying to arrange for it to be downloaded to my other two 5s cams)

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chicane and @roundball  We are at about 25% on the firmware rollout. So it is still rolling out for the Pro 5's. The following firmware 1.040.28.17_194_ac8359b is the field trial firmware. Once the new firmware is rolled out it will be  1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Strange...the case update sent to me says:

BUT REALITY IS:

The 2 cameras still show the "194" FTF version...not the "195" NEW version.

At any rate...did you have any luck getting them scheduled to upgrade my other two 5s cameras?