Arlo Pro 5S 2K weak - Should I get Arlo Pro Smart Hub

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
WLynne
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am a long-time Arlo customer and fairly recently upgraded to the Arlo Pro 5S 2K cameras, which connect directly to the Wi-Fi.  I seem to be constantly adjusting and tweaking the settings to get a better reception and service. There are days when no videos are recorded, although I live on a busy street in a suburban setting.  I am considering purchasing the Arlo Pro Smart Hub, hoping that it will solve some of the issues, and I wanted to get feedback from the Arlo Community. Have any Arlo Pro 5S 2K camera users also bought the Arlo Pro Smart Hub, and if so, what was your experience and did you find it helpful? I would appreciate any insights or thoughts on this issue. On a side note, I personally prefer the previous version of the app over the latest version. 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@WLynne wrote:

I am a long-time Arlo customer and fairly recently upgraded to the Arlo Pro 5S 2K cameras, which connect directly to the Wi-Fi.  I seem to be constantly adjusting and tweaking the settings to get a better reception and service.

The WiFi range of a smarthub is about the same as a normal router (which makes sense, since it essentially is a specialized router).  So it might not help with your connection quality.

The main benefits of a smarthub are

1. the direct access to local storage feature
  2. it is needed for homekit

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

In addition the arlo hub can be located closer to your camera location using a longer Ethernet cable back to the local router or using a wifi extender with a Ethernet port or similar with a Ethernet over power adapters. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

In addition the arlo hub can be located closer to your camera location using a longer Ethernet cable back to the local router or using a wifi extender with a Ethernet port or similar with a Ethernet over power adapters. 

True, but if you don't need the smarthub features you could just put a home wifi extender in that location, and keep the camera connected to the home wifi.  (Or upgrade to a mesh wifi system).