Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

combining camera systems

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
zl2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I was so impressed with this 2 camera system I bought another thinking I could add more cameras to the existing configuration.  Using the "add device" only  generates  a message saying the device cannot be found after an interminable wait.

I am left chagrined that I appear to have spent nearly $700NZ to learn that 2 camera configurations cannot be combined.   Worse, I've discovered  cannot create another stand alone system using my wife's credentials.  So I now have an expensive security camera system that is surplus to requirements.

Has anyone else had this experience?   Is there any sensible advice other than, "suck it up!"

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zl2 wrote:

I am left chagrined that I appear to have spent nearly $700NZ to learn that 2 camera configurations cannot be combined.   

They can be.  The problem isn't that they can't be combined, the problem is that you can't on-board the cameras.

Are you trying to add them to an existing base, or add them to your home wifi?  If you are adding to an existing base, then what model is it?

zl2
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your message of hope.   

If I've understood you correctly the base is ? the standalone hub that connects cameras.   I have 2 Pro4 packages and the one that works is connected via wifi,   I have a fibre optic system and a strong signal throughout my dwelling.   Despite turning the first 2 cameras off and disarming the system before attempting connecting a further camera adjacent to the modem didn't change the outcome.

Any help to overcome the obstacle(s) will be greatly appreciated.   Cheers

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zl2 wrote:

Thank you for your message of hope.   

If I've understood you correctly the base is ? the standalone hub that connects cameras.   I have 2 Pro4 packages and the one that works is connected via wifi,   

Ok, so it sounds like you have no base station, but are having trouble on-boarding one or more new Pro 4s. Is that correct?

Did you try onboarding from both the app and from a PC (browse to my.arlo.com)?

zl2
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes I tried adding another device using my android phone and pc.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zl2 wrote:

yes I tried adding another device using my android phone and pc.

Where in the process is it failing?  After the QR code chime?

zl2
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes, that's correct...  after the chimes 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

One option is to do a factory reset of the camera that won't onboard, and try again.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera  Obviously no need to remove it from your account, since it isn't there.

Some folks have had success onboarding onto a guest network (2.4 ghz), or a phone hotspot.  Then switch the wifi network after setup is complete.

zl2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried the factory reset option before I contacted Arlo support.  The reset process made no difference then and still does not.   The "some folks" option of hot-spotting suggests the process may/may not work.   I have no idea where I could attempt hot-spotting.  I live in a small provincial town in the north island of New Zealand.  As mentioned elsewhere, I have a fibre optic connection and good network signal in my dwelling.   What other options are available?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zl2 wrote:

The "some folks" option of hot-spotting suggests the process may/may not work.   I have no idea where I could attempt hot-spotting. 

Well, this is a user-to-user forum.  Some users have had success with this, others have not.

You'd create the hot spot from your phone - both Android and iPhone have that feature, though some phone plans (in the US at least) don't support it. 

@zl2 wrote:

What other options are available?

Do you have punctation or special characters in your wifi network name or password?  If you do, then try removing them.  Also, the network needs to be secured with WPA2, so check that setting in your router.

zl2
Aspirant
Aspirant

There are no special characteristics in either  network name of password.  WPA2 is active in  the router settings.

It seems wireless connection is fraught with many difficulties many which appear to be insurmountable.  Arlo should in operate in good faith placing a caveat on their packaging warning buyers.   Despite your insistence that additional cameras can be added to a two cameras system my experience runs contrary.  All round it's been a very expensive lesson.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation