Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

When can you add timestamp on video and support exFAT?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
codewarrior
Aspirant
Aspirant

It is now 2022, still no timestamp on videoclips, and only support FAT32 which limits the maximum capacity of external storage size to 2TB. 

How can you call sell Arlo as security camera?

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Timestamps have been requested before. You can find the time by either checking the video EXIF detials on a computer or use the filename of a downloaded video - the long number is the epoch date which can be checked by using an epoch converter such as https://www.epochconverter.com/.

FAT32, while old, is supported by virtually any computer these days. 2TB is a limitation but how many videos are going to be saved? My 16GB and 32GB thumb drives hold a lot of videos without filling up. Worst case, you safely eject thew drive and copy the videos to someplace safe, which is a Good Idea anyways.

codewarrior
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your comments, but I need timestamps on video. EXIF or filename are too easy to be modified, I need to use video clips in court, the video clips should have timestamp on it. 
I know you will say everything in digital could be modified or hacked, that's true, but first, it is mandatory to have timestamp on video if you want to use it in court in some countries; second, modifying timestamps frame by frame in video clips is more difficult than just changing the file name or EXIF information.

Next, let's talk about the file system. FAT was the file system of Windows 95 and it is a 26 years old thing, limitation on volume size is not the only drawbacks of FAT32, the largest file is 4GB, for video surveillance system, 4GB is a pretty low barrier, on Windows 11 I don't even know how to format to FAT32, it has been deprecated by Microsoft.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation