Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Videos stored are not available. Please check your connection settings.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AntiGen
Aspirant
Aspirant
Firmware: 1.20.7.0_1335_cf4d59a
Hardware: VMB4540r3

Can't view any videos that are stored on local access when movement is detected.  

Just got these cameras. I've looked at others having an identical issue. Reboots, app reinstall...There is no clear answer. When clicking and going to the website after it says "learn more" it just brings you to where you can buy cloud plans. There is nothing to learn. No. I don't want it. I have a samsung usb inserted and reformatted, rebooted. 

I have 2k on for local access. LOCAL ACCESS. The app and the browser don't have the same functionality for accessing certain functions which is just plain stupid. 

I setup a VPN on my phone to access the home base. No difference. Port forwarding is useless in this scenario.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AntiGen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can now access the videos stored locally on the base's USB storage when outside my LAN. 

OK. Port forwarding is needed. Not a perfect solution but it'll work for now till I can secure the Base. (PITA they should implement a solution while logging on to their website, the forwarding should be done via their internal structure and it would be secure...)

Static IP's, DMZ Zone, Router VPN....

On my older Arlo setup I didn't have to set anything up so I don't get why they changed it. Whatever. 

Here is the link on how to do it yourself.

To enable Port Forwarding after Direct Storage Access is enabled:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Settings > My Devices.
  3. Select a SmartHub.
  4. Tap Storage Settings > Port Forwarding.
  5. Tap the switch next to Enable Port Forwarding.
  6. Read the advisory message.
    1. Note: Enabling Port Forwarding can expose your network security to vulnerabilities and should be used with caution.
  7. If you understand and accept the risks, tap I accept the risk.
    1. Port Forwarding is activated in the Arlo Secure App.
  8. Enter the relevant Port Forwarding information in your router settings to enable access outside the local network.
    1. Note: Please consult your router manufacturer for specific configuration details.
    2. If correctly entered, the Status will change to Available.
  9. To change the ports assigned for Direct Storage Access, tap Refresh to have a new port randomly assigned.

Note: If Port Forwarding is deactivated, locally stored videos will only be accessible when you are on your home network or connected remotely via VPN. Your router settings will remain unchanged. If you deactivate Port Forwarding in the Arlo Secure App, remember to also remove the Port Forwarding settings for Arlo on your router.

Kindly refer to the below KB article for reference that would resolve your query and would be helpful for future reference.

KB Link: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AntiGen wrote:
Firmware: 1.20.7.0_1335_cf4d59a
Hardware: VMB4540r3

Videos stored are not available. Please check your connection settings.
Can't view any videos that are stored on local access when movement is detected.  

1. Does your app show "Feed" and "Dashboard" on the main menu, or does it show "Library".
  2. Are you seeing this error when the phone is directly connected to your home wifi?  (try putting the phone in airplane mode, and then enable wifi as a test).
  3. What model phone are you using, and what version of iOS/Android is it running?
AntiGen
Aspirant
Aspirant

I can now access the videos stored locally on the base's USB storage when outside my LAN. 

OK. Port forwarding is needed. Not a perfect solution but it'll work for now till I can secure the Base. (PITA they should implement a solution while logging on to their website, the forwarding should be done via their internal structure and it would be secure...)

On my older Arlo setup I didn't have to set anything up so I don't get why they changed it. Whatever. 

Here is the link on how to do it yourself.

To enable Port Forwarding after Direct Storage Access is enabled:

1. Launch the Arlo Secure App.
  2. Tap Settings > My Devices.
  3. Select a SmartHub.
  4. Tap Storage Settings > Port Forwarding.
  5. Tap the switch next to Enable Port Forwarding.
  6. Read the advisory message.
    1. Note: Enabling Port Forwarding can expose your network security to vulnerabilities and should be used with caution.
  7. If you understand and accept the risks, tap I accept the risk.
    1. Port Forwarding is activated in the Arlo Secure App.
  8. Enter the relevant Port Forwarding information in your router settings to enable access outside the local network.
    1. Note: Please consult your router manufacturer for specific configuration details.
    2. If correctly entered, the Status will change to Available.
  9. To change the ports assigned for Direct Storage Access, tap Refresh to have a new port randomly assigned.

Note: If Port Forwarding is deactivated, locally stored videos will only be accessible when you are on your home network or connected remotely via VPN. Your router settings will remain unchanged. If you deactivate Port Forwarding in the Arlo Secure App, remember to also remove the Port Forwarding settings for Arlo on your router.

Kindly refer to the below KB article for reference that would resolve your query and would be helpful for future reference.

KB Link: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AntiGen wrote:

The older setup almost certainly used legacy cameras that came with free 7-day cloud storage.  Those bases (VMB4500 and lower numbers) didn't let you see any locally stored footage in the app.  Everything you saw there was stored in the cloud.

@AntiGen wrote:

OK. Port forwarding is needed. Not a perfect solution but it'll work for now till I can secure the Base. 

OpenVPN (set up for inbound connections through the router) works for iOS, but I don't think it works for Android (at least not reliably).

@AntiGen wrote:

they should implement a solution while logging on to their website, the forwarding should be done via their internal structure and it would be secure...

I agree completely.  It would also be helpful for folks using mobile broadband (or a landline ISP deploying CGNAT), as port forwarding and router-hosted VPNs won't work on those networks.

Unfortunately, I don't think Arlo wants to provide a good user experience for this feature.  Which IMO is short-sighted. 

AntiGen
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB, Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. 

I had older arlo camera system for 7 years. Outdoor, worked great, with only one hardware failure.I kept it at 5 cameras or below because I was allowed to use their "cloud" storage for free on recorded videos for 30 days I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears they've disabled that feature. Everything is pay to play now. And your right, I never enabled the local storage on my old base because I had no need to, so no experience... 

I re-ordered the same number of cameras thinking the rule would be the same. Granted I don't like to invest too much time "investigating" the ins and outs of the system. Whats hidden, whats apparent etc...I just found I needed to order a base separately  to enable local storage so I didn't have to pay the monthly fee (gee how did that happen? Last time the base was included....

Anyways, we know that port forwarding isn't great and they want to offload their traffic it seems. So getting a static IP would be the best, slap it in a DMZ zone and boom. Easier said than done and not easy at all for those not versed in the procedure. I've played with OpenVPN in the past and even bought a standalone router to run it, load my osf files if I remember correctly...blah blah

Those files change, had to reload new ones frequently and the speed was seriously lacking even though I bought a new router with the chip specifically supporting the vpn protocols...so in the garbage it went. 

I agree with you, short sighted. User experience is key. Any moron can sell you something. Its a whole other game servicing said product...

Cheers

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AntiGen wrote:

I had older arlo camera system for 7 years. Outdoor, worked great, with only one hardware failure.I kept it at 5 cameras or below because I was allowed to use their "cloud" storage for free on recorded videos for 30 days I believe. 

Free Cloud storage was 7 days, not 30.

That is still available for the legacy cameras (with the limit of 5 unsubscribed cameras per account).

@AntiGen wrote:

I've played with OpenVPN in the past and even bought a standalone router to run it, load my osf files if I remember correctly...blah blah

Those files change, had to reload new ones frequently and the speed was seriously lacking even though I bought a new router with the chip specifically supporting the vpn protocols...so in the garbage it went. 

Note I actually have a subscription,  so local storage is a backup for me.

That said, I've actually had a pretty good experience with OpenVPN generally - in my case running on a Netgear Orbi.  It is fast enough for my normal usage - though I haven't measured throughput recently (probably should).  

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation