Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Video Mode - Battery Life and Object Detection

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
episkey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does video mode (wide, standard, full) influence battery life? Also, does changing the video mode affect what the camera detects (e.g., wide angle will detect more than full)? Thanks so much@

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the view angle doesn't change the detection angle then, yes, activity outside the recorded view would trigger a recording. That may or may not be desired. I'd suggest testing this yourself - choose a narrow view and see where detection is noted.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The width of the view has no effect on battery life which is based on the amount of usage (recordings and live view) as well as signal strength/quality.

As for whether the detection zone changes, I'm not sure. PIR sensors aren't configurable to my knowledge but I remember something from the past that may indicate that the detection zone changes with the view setting. Maybe @JamesC can elaborate.

episkey
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks so much! I didn’t know if the different file sizes associated with a larger angle would influence battery life over time as Arlo was transmitting recordings to the cloud.

If PIR isn’t configurable, then is it correct to assume that motion would be detected outside of the visible frame on full or standard mode? If so, would this result in (1) no video because the motion was outside of the frame or (2) a video but any motion outside of the frame wasn’t captured? Thank you!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the view angle doesn't change the detection angle then, yes, activity outside the recorded view would trigger a recording. That may or may not be desired. I'd suggest testing this yourself - choose a narrow view and see where detection is noted.

episkey
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your help!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation