Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMC4041P help setting up previously used camera

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Second hand camera that  apparently by report was "removed" from the previous system, the battery is fully changed, and factory reset completed. I can go through the entire "Add a Device" process but the sync process at the end just times out.

Is there a way to use the camera serial number to sync with my phone?

13 REPLIES 13
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. Are you trying to connect to your WiFi or to a base/hub?

Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Trying to connect to WiFi. It's turned on at the phone and 5G is disabled on the router so the only freq. that's working is 2.4. The blue light was on constant to indicate fully charged battery and going through the syncing process I get the tone that indicates the QR code has been read by the camera but then the phone just displays the icon and 'searching for camera'....until the camera times out (blinking blue light turns off). Factory reset hasn't been of any benefit.

If the camera won't sync with WiFi I'm guessing that likewise it won't sync with a base/hub either. Having read previous posts regarding second hand cameras the only 'fix' that I haven't been able to get past is the lock(?) on the serial number from a previous owner. I've contacted the family member and he indicates his account displays 'no devices'.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using a VPN? If so, disable it. Have you tried using a computer browser instead?

Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I"m not using VPN. I'm a bit puzzled as to how a browser would be used instead of Arlo app as all the instructions indicate to use. Please advise. Thanks.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bench1 wrote:

I'm a bit puzzled as to how a browser would be used instead of Arlo app as all the instructions indicate to use. 

Note this doesn't alway work - but there are quite a few cases where onboarding from a phone fails, but onboarding from a PC succeeds.  

If your PC can connect to your home network over ethernet, then I suggest connecting that way for this.

Just browse to my.arlo.com, and log in.  You'll see an "add device" option there also.  Some devices can't be onboarded from the web interface, but the Pro 4 camera can be.

HikeCA
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a similar issue but with new cameras.  Was told to fully charge the batteries which was done and then spent close to 1.5 hours on the chat with a woman that did the same syncing process with me over and over (which I had already been doing multiple times before I contacted them the second time).  After not getting anywhere she finally just said she was sending me the instructions and cut off the chat.  She sent me the same set of instructions that I already had (which she had been told about) which was the same process you are going through and that I had done at least 20 times with her.  Issue was never resolved and I took my 3 cameras back for a refund.  I don't know how this company has such a good rep.  I spoke with 2 different Techs and neither one could give me assistance other then to keep trying to sync the cameras.  Really a shame, the first camera connected and worked fine.  The other 2 did exactly what you are talking about.  They really need to work on their customer service.  Sounds to me like this is an ongoing issue with their cameras.

Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Luckily these are second hand from a family member so no cost to me...looks like I mat be spiraling to a bad ending here.

Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the on-boarding process through the PC...but the end result is the same...the camera timing out while the PC screen continues to show the "searching" icon.

Is this the end of options for these cameras?

Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the on-boarding process through the PC...but the end result is the same...the camera timing out while the PC screen continues to show the "searching" icon.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bench1 wrote:

Maybe double-check with the family member, and make sure it was removed from the original account.

Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Before I do, would it be beneficial if he is totally migrating away from Arlo to remove his whole account. Would that make any difference (releasing SN's that I've read about previously) or just try it and find out?

HikeCA
Aspirant
Aspirant

They had me do that as well but with no success.  It was very strange with mine.  The first camera connected seamlessly and worked fine.  The other 2 they had no idea what to do past the removing them from the account, well the one, which connected and then just stopped working immediately.  Then they just kept having me re-sync them which obviously didn't work.  Other then that, they had no suggestions or other solutions.  Unfortunate because the one camera had really good video quality.  Obviously I have no input on the battery life but the customer service was terrible and not well trained on the product.

Bench1
Aspirant
Aspirant

There is nothing on the family members account and these still don't connect. Looks like I'm done with Arlo. I'll keep using the one that I bought a while ago but no more.

Thanks for your help in trying to get these up and running.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation