Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

VMC4041P Motion Alert

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Aracee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I continually receive Motion Alerts on one of my cameras. I have turned off Motion Alerts! I have turned down the motion sensitivity on both cameras. Other than turning them off, is there another solution. It is also running my battery down.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aracee wrote:

Did you see the part where I said I had turned OFF Motion Alerts?

Yes.  And I saw the part where you said it was running your battery down.

Activity zones don't affect battery life, because they are applied in the cloud.  All motion (whether inside the zone or not) results in the camera streaming video to the cloud.  Then the cloud determines if the activity is inside the zone or not, and drops recordings/notifications when it is outside the zone. So the camera acts the same way whether zones are used or not.

Similarly, notification filtering is done in the cloud, so it will not affect the camera power use at all.

So if battery life is part of the concern, then I suggest lowering the camera downwards, so that the traffic isn't in the field of view at all (or come as close to that as you can).  Lowering the motion sensitivity will also help with battery life, since that will reduce the amount of motion detection.  But in my experience, the best way to address this issue is to reposition the camera if you can.

@Aracee wrote:

It seems to me that, when you turn off Motion Alerts, you shouldn't be alerted to motion.

The smart notifications only work when you use push notifications.  If you are using email notifications to get the alerts, you will get them all - no matter how the smart notifications are set.  No idea why Arlo designed it that way.

So if you are using email notifications, then you should try push instead.

If you are already using push notifications, then I'd try removing/reinserting the camera battery next, and see if the camera reboot resolves it.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aracee wrote:

I continually receive Motion Alerts on one of my cameras.

What is triggering these alerts?

Is it practical to adjust the field of view to not include those triggers?

Aracee
Aspirant
Aspirant

The motion alerts are coming from traffic on the street in front of my house.

Did you see the part where I said I had turned OFF Motion Alerts? I have also set up my Activity Zone well short of the street. Which is also in the bottom two-thirds of my camera angle.

It seems to me that, when you turn off Motion Alerts, you shouldn't be alerted to motion.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Aracee wrote:

Did you see the part where I said I had turned OFF Motion Alerts?

Yes.  And I saw the part where you said it was running your battery down.

Activity zones don't affect battery life, because they are applied in the cloud.  All motion (whether inside the zone or not) results in the camera streaming video to the cloud.  Then the cloud determines if the activity is inside the zone or not, and drops recordings/notifications when it is outside the zone. So the camera acts the same way whether zones are used or not.

Similarly, notification filtering is done in the cloud, so it will not affect the camera power use at all.

So if battery life is part of the concern, then I suggest lowering the camera downwards, so that the traffic isn't in the field of view at all (or come as close to that as you can).  Lowering the motion sensitivity will also help with battery life, since that will reduce the amount of motion detection.  But in my experience, the best way to address this issue is to reposition the camera if you can.

@Aracee wrote:

The smart notifications only work when you use push notifications.  If you are using email notifications to get the alerts, you will get them all - no matter how the smart notifications are set.  No idea why Arlo designed it that way.

So if you are using email notifications, then you should try push instead.

If you are already using push notifications, then I'd try removing/reinserting the camera battery next, and see if the camera reboot resolves it.  

Aracee
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe you have finally got through my thick skull. Thank you, kind sir, for your patience.

I must be using push notifications, because I'm not getting emails. Will reboot when I lower the camera. Hopefully, I can turn it back on, then.

Thanks, again.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation