VMB500 Smart Hub suddenly stopped external access to videos

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Joat23
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought a new Arlo hub (VMB5000) when I replaced all my cameras with the Arlo Pro 4 (last year).  I set up a static IP for the hub on my network, and enabled port forwarding (in and out) and both TCP and UDP.  I used the same settings as I had on my VMB4000 which I had been using for years.  Everything worked fine.  After my free trial for cloud storage expired, I reverted to local storage (Micro-SD).  Again, all worked fine. 

Starting about a week ago, my Arlo videos are now no longer accessible when I am not on my home wi-fi network.  I am using an Arris S33/V2 modem, and a Linksys EA9500 Router.  My ISP is Comcast, but I own all my own equipment. I have confirmed my port settings and IP address match for both the Arlo App and the Linksys router.  Has something changed recently on the Arlo side that disabled a remote access capability?  Do I need to use a different port setting now?

The Arlo App also says status not available for the hub when I check on it with the App. 

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joat23 wrote:

my Arlo videos are now no longer accessible when I am not on my home wi-fi network. 

If you are using an iPhone: This is a bug in the Arlo iOS app.  Arlo knows about it, but haven't said when they will fix it.

Joat23
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  I had not heard of that issue with the iPhone and Arlo.  The issues occur with iPhone 13 and iPhone 14. I will try to use my Android tablet on a hotspot away from my network and see if that works.  If so, I can exonerate my port forwarding.  Sort of defeats the purpose of having a set of security cameras for when away from home, if it does not work when away from home.

Do we know which version of Arlo introduced the bug? is it possible to revert to the prior version that worked?

Joat23
Aspirant
Aspirant

BTW, when logging into my account on my Windows 10 PC on my home network, I cannot access any recordings there, either. Since the last time I logged into Arlo from my PC was a over a year ago (and then not to look at videos), I am not sure if that is normal.  The site format implies there should be videos, but none are shown to select.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joat23 wrote:

BTW, when logging into my account on my Windows 10 PC on my home network, I cannot access any recordings there, either. 

That is normal - one of several restrictions on the direct access to local storage feature. 

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation