Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Trying to add a friend

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
rattler_cah
Follower
Follower

This trying to add a friend is getting really frustrating. Shouldn't be this hard. I sent the request but it says for them to create an account at arlo. When they do that it wants them to go to each camera and do what i did initially to set up the account. I even tried to do that but with me signed in to the cameras it won't let her access the camera. why can't someone explain how to do this where i can understand it. no I am not a tech wizard so maybe that explains it. help please in old people and dumb people language. thanks in advance...

4 REPLIES 4
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

You’re not the only one confused by arlo processes and will not the last.

Read this article first,

https://kb.arlo.com/000039122/How-do-I-add-friends-to-my-Arlo-account 

Be aware that when you use the same login credentials you can only have one login session at a time for all devices which is half of the issue. 

SameArloIssue
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same exact issue.  I was successfully able to add one user some time ago.  Now-- tried it with 3 different accounts and once completing the process and validating the user accounts--- NO CAMERAS APPEAR... just a lot of extra Arlo accounts.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

@SameArloIssue 

It is my understanding that any new arlo accounts created will be forced to install the new app experiment and so will not work with their old arlo app accounts.

Edit: Warning, If you go forward you can’t go back.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You must use the same app version as well as the same user interface (UI). New accounts will automatically get the new UI so all users, especially the owner, must migrate to the new one. You can tell the difference by how you view recordings - the old UI uses Library while the new one uses Feed.

You can migrate by choosing to install either a Pro 5 or security system, even if you don't have one to actually install. The first step will be to migrate the account after which you can just cancel the installation. Note that modes don't carry over so you'll need to rebuild whatever you have created into the 3 supplied modes (Standby, Armed Home and Armed Away). If you have several custom modes as I did, you just have to utilize those 3 somehow to get what works for you. Hopefully, the addition of custom modes will be added but that's not possible now.

Once configured, the users who were granted access need to select the Home selection at the top of Devices.  There will be 2 shown - the currently selected one will be the default one the migration creates the bottom one will be the owner's Home which will allow the others to see his cameras. My suggestion is to rename the default Home so as to reduce confusion as to whose cameras are to be shown.

A bit cumbersome, yes, but all users will eventually be forced to use the new UI so beat the rush and just get it over with.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation