Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Unable to connect 2nd iPhone/app

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
tjswider
Aspirant
Aspirant

My iPhone is working perfectly fine with my pro 4. I am now trying to get my wife’s iPhone to be able to function with my pro 4. Went through the instructions to invite her. All good. But no matter what I do, the phone and the camera will not connect even though everything’s on the same Wi-Fi network. And I have followed all the instructions in the note titled “What to do when Arlo is unable to discover your device during an install or setup directly to a Wi-Fi router”.  

Has anyone had this problem or may be a better question to ask is, has anyone gotten a second iPhone/app to connect to the same single camera?

Tommy 

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No iOS here but there's generic possibilities.

WHich user interface (UI) are you using - the old or new one? Old uses Library to see videos while new uses Feed. You and your wife need to be using the same app version as well as the same UI. A new user will have the new interface so you may need to migrate by "installing" a Pro 5 camera or the security system even though you don't have one. The first step will be to migrate your account after which you can cancel the fake "install". Be aware that your current modes won't transfer over so you'll need to rebuild them in Routines. Also note that there are only 3 modes available and you can't create new ones so you'll have to use those to do what you need. It's a learning experience since it's so different but sooner or later you'll have to do all this anyways when Arlo forces the migration.

One other thing to note when all this is done - each user gets a default Home location. When you share, she will see 2 Home possibilities when clicking on it. I recommend renaming one or both so as to keep them straight since she will need to choose your Home in order to see the cameras.

tjswider
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for responding. Very much appreciate it.

We’re new users to the Arlo products so I did the full installation and download the app to both phones yesterday so I know we’re using the same version of the app. Just to be safe, I checked the version in both apps, and of course they match.

As far as old versus new UI, I’m not experienced enough with the product to know the difference, but I would assume I’m using the new UI on both phones. If this helps any all the videos that are taken end up in my Feed tab.

as I mentioned, everything works great on my phone with the app. On my wife’s phone, after I hear the chime, it spins, and eventually comes back and says I can’t find the camera. We’re both definitely on the same Wi-Fi and the router and the camera and the phones are all very close and distance so there’s no issue with not being in range. The puzzling part is the app doesn’t tell you why it choked when looking for the camera, so I don’t know where to focus my triage efforts.

Based on your one comment about the home location, I just changed her home location to be different than what I have in my app and tried to connect her phone and the camera together but it still failed, saying it can’t locate the camera.

I also rebooted her phone in order to make sure there wasn’t some garbage in a cache somewhere that’s causing the problem. It still failed the same way even after the reboot.

is there any way to find out what it doesn’t like when it’s trying to find the camera? The error message is very generic and doesn’t help.

i’m getting very frustrated and contemplating bringing the product back. It should not be this hard to add the camera to a second phone.

again, I appreciate all your help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you're new users, you have the new UI that displays Dashboard, Devices, Feed, Routines at the bottom so you're good there.

It sounds like you're just trying to set her phone up like yours. That's not possible since the system is already set up. Instead, you grant access to others. Here's the link to the directions:

https://kb.arlo.com/000062933/How-do-I-add-friends-on-my-Arlo-Secure-app-Arlo-Secure-4-0

This way both users can check things out at the same time without interference (if you both used the same login credentials, the second user to log in would kick the first one off). Since she already has an account, when she receives the invitation you provided she would click on the link in the email which would take her to the login (or to the app already logged in). She would then change the Home to yours and the cameras should appear with no further issue. If there's any issue with these steps to accept the invitation, try using a computer to perform the steps - that's been shown to help folks.

Let me know if the above directions work. It should be just that simple.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation