Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
spaced15
Follower
Follower

Hi, I'm after a camera which can continuously save footage to cloud (like 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

I want to then be able to download the entire footage to my own server or hard drive.

Is this possible with the Arlo Pro 4?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Monteagle
Star
Star

No, Arlo pro 4 is not designed for your use case.  It is a battery powered WIFI camera that records short video clips which are triggered buy motion and/or audio.

24/7 POE cameras are wired directly, and the video stored locally for a reason -- because your WIFI and cloud cannot handle the bandwidth required for continuous HD video recording.  There are many good youtube reviews of these systems.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Monteagle
Star
Star

No, Arlo pro 4 is not designed for your use case.  It is a battery powered WIFI camera that records short video clips which are triggered buy motion and/or audio.

24/7 POE cameras are wired directly, and the video stored locally for a reason -- because your WIFI and cloud cannot handle the bandwidth required for continuous HD video recording.  There are many good youtube reviews of these systems.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@spaced15 wrote:

Hi, I'm after a camera which can continuously save footage to cloud (like 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)

Is this possible with the Arlo Pro 4?

You could get a CVR subscription for the Pro 4. 

As the article says, you'd need to connect AC power to the camera, and you would also need to purchase a compatible base (ideally a VMB4540).

@spaced15 wrote:

I want to then be able to download the entire footage to my own server or hard drive.

Arlo doesn't provide that functionality - downloading the footage isn't possible at all.  The best you can do is play the video while recording the screen it is playing on.  

@spaced15 wrote:

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Although I think the Pro 4 camera is more capable than @Monteagle suggests in his reply, I agree that you should probably be looking at PoE (power over ethernet) cameras that support local storage. 

You will need a server on which to store the footage:

• many have a software app that you can install on a PC, and record there
  • many support storage on an external FTP server (useful if you have a home NAS).
  • you can also get a NVR (network video recorder) or DVR (digital video recorder).
Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation