Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Questions regarding a VPN setup

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I am wanting to set up my cameras with the Hub so that I can access my library off site. 

It says we recommend enabling VPN on your router and mobile device to establish a secure connection to your SmartHub. Please consult your router manufacturer for specific configuration details.

What does this mean and how do achieve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Winnie09 wrote:

NetcommWireless, model number NF18ACV-TP

The manual for your router is here:

The first step is to reserve the IP address for the smarthub.  There are a couple of steps involved with that. 

1. First you need to find the MAC address of the smarthub.  That should be printed on a label.  In the case of the VMB5000, the label is on the bottom of the smarthub (with the serial number).
  2. Next you need to find the current IP address the router has assigned the smarthub.  Go to the ARP screen as shown on page 33 of the guide, and locate the smarthub using the MAC address.  Note the format is slightly different - just ignore the colons in the ARP screen.  Note the IP address used for the smarthub.
  3. Then go to the LAN screen shown on page 41, and click on "add entries" at the bottom. That will bring you to the screen on figure 41 (page 42).  Enter the MAC address (using the format with the colons), and the IP address you found on the ARP screen.

Now open the Arlo app

1. select settings, and choose the smarthub,  go into the storage settings.
  2. enable direct access if that hasn't been done yet.
  3. if port forwarding hasn't been enabled, then enable it (accepting the risk).
  4. identify the port that the app selected for forwarding.

Once this is done, you set up the port forwarding in the router. 

• Go to the virtual server screen on page 45, and click on add.  That will open up the screen shown in figure 45/page 46.
  • Choose Custom Service, and name it anything you like (perhaps Arlo).
  • Set the server address to the IP address you reserved to the smarthub.
  • Set the "external port start" and "external port end" to the external port the app gave you.
  • Set "internal port start" to the same port number.
  • Set the protocol to "TCP/UDP"
  • Click on Apply.

I'm not certain what the status field on this screen is used for - it might give you way to enable/disable the forwarding without deleting the config.  You of course want the port forwarding enabled.

When all this is done, you can check that the port is open by browsing to https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

1. Leave the remote address alone (it will be automatically filled in).
  2. Enter the forwarded port in the port number field, and press check

The website should find that the port is open.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
Dannybear
Master
Master
This article may help.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...

Be aware that you only have viewing access via the mobile app and cannot be shared with friends.
SwensonOaks
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I have the same question. I read the article and followed the steps. But my app says "Status" not available. I don't know how to change my router's port forwarding setting. Do you have any  website can help? Thanks. 

CJ

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SwensonOaks wrote:

Hi, I have the same question. I read the article and followed the steps. But my app says "Status" not available. I don't know how to change my router's port forwarding setting.

The details depend on the router.

Try googling the router model number, and see if you can find the manual for it.  

Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, thanks for the router manual tip.

I got as far as connecting my ethernet cable to my computer and typed in the credentials and followed instructions but then hit another stumbling block.  It did not like the username or password as it said the site is not secure..... So very hard and confusing to set up.

Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks but the issue I'm having is setting up the router to open ports etc.... 😞

Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi CJ,

Have you managed to set up yours yet?  I'm still not having any luck.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Winnie09 wrote:

Thanks but the issue I'm having is setting up the router to open ports etc.... 😞

Understood.  What router do you have (manufacturer and model)?

Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

sorry for delayed reply..... still not resolved.

Thank you

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Winnie09 wrote:

The manual for your router is here:

The first step is to reserve the IP address for the smarthub.  There are a couple of steps involved with that. 

1. First you need to find the MAC address of the smarthub.  That should be printed on a label.  In the case of the VMB5000, the label is on the bottom of the smarthub (with the serial number).
  2. Next you need to find the current IP address the router has assigned the smarthub.  Go to the ARP screen as shown on page 33 of the guide, and locate the smarthub using the MAC address.  Note the format is slightly different - just ignore the colons in the ARP screen.  Note the IP address used for the smarthub.
  3. Then go to the LAN screen shown on page 41, and click on "add entries" at the bottom. That will bring you to the screen on figure 41 (page 42).  Enter the MAC address (using the format with the colons), and the IP address you found on the ARP screen.

Now open the Arlo app

1. select settings, and choose the smarthub,  go into the storage settings.
  2. enable direct access if that hasn't been done yet.
  3. if port forwarding hasn't been enabled, then enable it (accepting the risk).
  4. identify the port that the app selected for forwarding.

Once this is done, you set up the port forwarding in the router. 

• Go to the virtual server screen on page 45, and click on add.  That will open up the screen shown in figure 45/page 46.
  • Choose Custom Service, and name it anything you like (perhaps Arlo).
  • Set the server address to the IP address you reserved to the smarthub.
  • Set the "external port start" and "external port end" to the external port the app gave you.
  • Set "internal port start" to the same port number.
  • Set the protocol to "TCP/UDP"
  • Click on Apply.

I'm not certain what the status field on this screen is used for - it might give you way to enable/disable the forwarding without deleting the config.  You of course want the port forwarding enabled.

When all this is done, you can check that the port is open by browsing to https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

1. Leave the remote address alone (it will be automatically filled in).
  2. Enter the forwarded port in the port number field, and press check

The website should find that the port is open.

Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much for helping me this has been invaluable.   I can't find the VLAN ID and also unsure what value to choose for Pbits?  

I really appreciate your help!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Winnie09 wrote:

Thank you so much for helping me this has been invaluable.   I can't find the VLAN ID and also unsure what value to choose for Pbits?  

I really appreciate your help!

You are looking in the wrong spot in the manual. You aren't trying to set up a VLAN.  With your router you need to set up port forwarding (using the instructions I posted earlier). 

Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

When I run the "open port check tool" it says its a invalid remote address?

Not sure if the below is a factor........

Fig 45/pg 46 use interface is s drop down arrow but does not say which one to select?

On my actual one it has 3 options for "use interface" which one should i select please?

1. UFB.10/eth4.1

2. ADSL/pppoa0

3. VDSL.10ppp1.1

I've checked my Arlo app and its still not working. 😞

Thank you.

Winnie09
Aspirant
Aspirant

Finally we have it working, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and patience! 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Winnie09 wrote:

Finally we have it working, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and patience! 

Great, I'm glad I was able to help.

kevharper
Aspirant
Aspirant

This uses port forwarding, not VPN which is insecure and puts your data and any other computers or phones on your network at risk.  Arlo recommends using a VPN for a secure setup but provides no real guidance on how to do it.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's because there's a lot of different routers with different capabilities and ways to set up a VPN. This isn't an Arlo issue so the user needs to work with the router vendor.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kevharper wrote:

This uses port forwarding, not VPN which is insecure and puts your data and any other computers or phones on your network at risk.  Arlo recommends using a VPN for a secure setup but provides no real guidance on how to do it.  

@Winnie09's router doesn't have a VPN server, so VPN was not an option.  

While I agree that a VPN is better approach, I wouldn't call port forwarding for this application "insecure".  Traffic is only being forwarded to the smarthub (the local IP address for it was reserved in my instructions) - and Arlo uses authenticated/encypted connections.  Only one port is forwarded, and that port is dedicated to the Arlo application, and not used for other services. 

Other devices (computers or phones) are only at risk if someone can manage to defeat Arlo security and hack into the smarthub - accessing the full network via the smarthub.  While that is conceivable, I haven't seen any cases of someone doing that reported here.

Discussion stats
  • 17 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation