Pro 4 with Smarthub 4540 recording

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have 3 cameras and can see the cameras and displays. Have a thumb drive plugged into hub. How do I record and playback on computer without a subscription. Using Arlo Web Portal. 

I'm frustrated because was told didn't need a subscription. Got it to watch our amazing wildlife. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you everyone for your responses. I called the Costco Technical support. They gave me the Costco Arlo Tech line. We discovered that the Alro device needed to be plugged in directly to the Wifi Modem and not the ethernet cable connection that a computer can plug into in my office. Then the wonderful tech took us step by step thru the process of reloadings everything. When there was a problem, thru the support line we could send him photos of my screen. Now everything is working. My suggestion to Arlo -- I know you all don't work for Arlo -- is to get some good docmentation available for when someone opens the Arlo product box of the first time. It would have save us many hours of frustration. I was to the point of returning the birthday present I selected! 

Now with the loaded USB correctly formated drive, we are seeing videos of all 3 cameras on my phone. 

Thank you for helping me.

Thank you Arlo Costco support!

Have great evenings everyone!

Signed -- Wheaten

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wheaten wrote:

How do I record and playback on computer without a subscription. Using Arlo Web Portal. 

I'm frustrated because was told didn't need a subscription. 

Viewing locally recorded footage is limited to the app - it can't be done from the web browser.  You can of course manually download them in the app (for instance to iCloud), and view them that way from a PC.

Also, there is no way to make manual local recordings (either from the app or the browser).  Manual recordings are cloud only (so do require a subscription).

Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant
DannyBearAgain,

The Pro 4 XL (Spotlight Camera Security Bundle, 3 Camera System with SmartHub #1557527) box says on back  "Secure Local Storage  Option to store you videos directly to the Arlo SmartHub for added security and privacy.*  *Required a USP flash drive (sold separately."

On the app on my iphone 13 pro I have "Home" which shows the 3 cameras. When I touch the image of a camera that says "3 hours ago", it immediately brings up the "live" view! I can't see anything recorded. 

From the "Home view" only "Devices (aka cameras)" are shown and accessible from the menu at bottom! The other labels at bottom on iphone show grayed out Dashboard, Feed, Emergency, Routines. 

On my Dell Computer Windows 11, it lists on the left: Dashboard, Feed, Emergency, Devices, Routines, Settings. The Devices show only the 3 cameras. Settings lists my id, notifications, people, home - no plan, privacy center, support. Settings does not list Devices. 

I'm using a 16GB flash drive that has 14.4GM of memory available. Nothing is showing up on my computer. From the link you sent me about "local backups using my Arlo Base Stator or SmartHub?" this is how far I get. NOTE:
1. Plug the USB device into one of the two  USB ports on back of the Arlo Base Station. -- I only have 1 USB Port. Plugged in USB.
2. Lauch the Arlo Secure App on i phone:
3. Tap or click Settings > My Devices. Iphone only lists Devices. Only 3 cameras show up. 
     On Dell, Settings does not list My Devices. On Dell, menu lists Devices. Clicked on Devices. Shows only 3 cameras! 
I have never spent so much money to have so much frustration. Yes I can see the cameras what is happening right now. I don't have any history. I'm about to return this device and write very honest reviews!
Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi StephenB (Guru),

I'm sending you the same information I just responded to DannyBear.

On the app on my Iphone 13 pro and my Dell Computer Windows 11, when I select Devices, I only see the 3 cameras. If one camera has 8 minutes before on it, when I open it, I ONLY see the present moment. 

I can't believe spending over $300 I'm getting this. I followed the information on https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...   and here is my results:

The Pro 4 XL (Spotlight Camera Security Bundle, 3 Camera System with SmartHub #1557527) box says on back  "Secure Local Storage  Option to store you videos directly to the Arlo SmartHub for added security and privacy.*  *Required a USP flash drive (sold separately."

On the app on my iphone 13 pro I have "Home" which shows the 3 cameras. When I touch the image of a camera that says "3 hours ago", it immediately brings up the "live" view! I can't see anything recorded. 

From the "Home view" only "Devices (aka cameras)" are shown and accessible from the menu at bottom! The other labels at bottom on iphone show grayed out Dashboard, Feed, Emergency, Routines. 

On my Dell Computer Windows 11, it lists on the left: Dashboard, Feed, Emergency, Devices, Routines, Settings. The Devices show only the 3 cameras. Settings lists my id, notifications, people, home - no plan, privacy center, support. Settings does not list Devices. 

I'm using a 16GB flash drive that has 14.4GM of memory available. Nothing is showing up on my computer. From the link you sent me about "local backups using my Arlo Base Stator or SmartHub?" this is how far I get. NOTE:
1. Plug the USB device into one of the two  USB ports on back of the Arlo Base Station. -- I only have 1 USB Port. Plugged in USB.
2. Lauch the Arlo Secure App on i phone:
3. Tap or click Settings > My Devices. Iphone only lists Devices. Only 3 cameras show up. 
     On Dell, Settings does not list My Devices. On Dell, menu lists Devices. Clicked on Devices. Shows only 3 cameras! 
I have NO WAY to see the USB I plugged in. And I only have 1 USB port. 
So before I start writing bad reviews of Arlo and return it, do you have any suggestions? I'm ready to look at other products.
Our friends praise the Arlo 2. Arlo didn't carry on it's great reputation to the Alro Pro 4 XL!
Gizmo

Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB,

According to box I just found that without plan the following are available:

Live Video Steaming - true

Local Storage -- * Requires USB port -- Doesn't work!

Motion & sound alerts - true

Also have no way to test out Alro Smart "after trail period." It doesn't even work on day 2 or 3 or 4. 

Gizmo

Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB and all following,

I decided my next option it to call Costco Concierge Services for help. At least I'll be able to talk to a live person there. Thanks for your help. If you find something I'm missing, please let me know. 

Gizmo

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

No need to duplicate the reply, as the forum is all public.

Your friends with Pro 2 cameras are seeing cloud recordings.  Legacy cameras had 7-day free cloud storage, which Arlo continues to provide.  But Arlo stopped doing that with new camera models back in 2018 with the Ultra.  With current cameras you need a subscription to get any cloud storage.

As I said above, there is no way to see local recordings on your Dell.  Direct Access to local storage is only available in the app. 

You appear to have the "Feed" user interface - seeing "Feed" as menu option on the main screen, and not "Library".  With "Feed", if you want to see the recordings on your iPhone, the procedure is at the end of the article here:

1. Tap Devices.
  2. Tap ... (upper right)
  3. Tap the settings wheel for your SmartHub.
  4. Tap Storage Settings.

There are limitations to this feature - IMO they result in a poor user experience.

1. Local Recordings only available from the app (not the browser)
  2. Local Recordings only available from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  3. No ability to make manual recordings or snapshots.
  4. No thumbnails, so recordings need to be downloaded to the phone to view
  5. remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult, and which won't work with some internet service providers.

Keep in mind that this is a user-to-user forum - neither @DannyBearAgain nor I work for Arlo.

Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant

StephenB,

Thank you for your help. I know you guys don't work for Arlo. I'm just very frustrated.

On my phone, in Devices, I tapped upper right ...   Got the cameras. Taped on Camera C settings. It lists:

Device on

Battery

Connected to   -- wifi listing

Power Management

Video Settings

Night Vision

Lighting Settings

Audio Settings

Activity Zones

Default Mode Settings

Support

Pressed Default Mode Settings which list motion detection, audo detection, recording length - until activity stops or record for a fixed length, and Siren Sound Length. 

I used to work technical support and that's why this is so frustrating for me. I guess I'll call Costco support for help unless someone has another idea. 

Thanks for your help!

Gizmo 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Wheaten wrote:

On my phone, in Devices, I tapped upper right ...   Got the cameras. Taped on Camera C settings. It lists:

The instructions are to select the smarthub - not the camera.

Did you see the smarthub when you tapped the upper right ...?

Wheaten
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you everyone for your responses. I called the Costco Technical support. They gave me the Costco Arlo Tech line. We discovered that the Alro device needed to be plugged in directly to the Wifi Modem and not the ethernet cable connection that a computer can plug into in my office. Then the wonderful tech took us step by step thru the process of reloadings everything. When there was a problem, thru the support line we could send him photos of my screen. Now everything is working. My suggestion to Arlo -- I know you all don't work for Arlo -- is to get some good docmentation available for when someone opens the Arlo product box of the first time. It would have save us many hours of frustration. I was to the point of returning the birthday present I selected! 

Now with the loaded USB correctly formated drive, we are seeing videos of all 3 cameras on my phone. 

Thank you for helping me.

Thank you Arlo Costco support!

Have great evenings everyone!

Signed -- Wheaten

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation