Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 says AC power has been disconnected. Does that mean I need to purchase a subscription?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Danoret
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pro 4 camera

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Danoret wrote:

Pro 4 says AC power has been disconnected. Does that mean I need to purchase a subscription?

If you want to use activity zones while on battery power, then you need a subscription.

You'll also need it for smart notifications and cloud recording.

Danoret
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you, can I get any get recordings (even temporary) without a subscription? Or is it just live video?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Danoret wrote:

Thank you, can I get any get recordings (even temporary) without a subscription? Or is it just live video?

Just live video if you are connecting directly to your home wifi.

If you use a VMB4540 or VMB5000 smarthub, then you could use direct access to local storage.  IMO not a good experience, but there are people who use that feature instead of a subscription.   You would need to remove your activity zones though.

Limitations include

• recordings only available using the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • recordings only available in the mobile app (not my.arlo.com)
  • no ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • no thumbnails, videos need to be downloaded to the phone to view.
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).

In addition, if you using "Feed" (and not the older "Library") interface, then navigating to the recordings is a bit awkward.

Danoret
Aspirant
Aspirant

Very disappointing, would never have purchased the system had I known that. Guess they are just very expensive decoy cameras now. My brother has an older system with a hub and no subscription and gets recordings, I thought this system would do the same.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Danoret wrote:

My brother has an older system with a hub and no subscription and gets recordings, I thought this system would do the same.

Arlo stopped offering free 7-day cloud storage on new camera models back in 2018.  All the currently sold cameras require a subcription for cloud storage.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation