Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Pro 4's not connecting to asus (RT-AX92U) router.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
devnullish
Tutor
Tutor

Just recently got a pro 4 bundle with hopes of getting everything quickly set up, but it appears this is going to be more annoying than it should be. 

Network is 2 Asus RT-AX92U routers running in a mesh. 

What I've done so far:

- Charged all the batteries overnight using the charger (they all were green when done).

- Went through the set up and was able to see the video feed while adjusting the camera (tells me at least the connection is still working). Once I clicked finish, nothing shows in the app and it is treating the camera as if it is offline. I see it is connected to my router still and if I force disconnect it, it will connect right back. The one time it showed the camera it showed low battery, but no feed. 

Testing I have done to much failure:
- Tried 2 other cameras and 3 other batteries. 

- Removed all devices and started over. 

- Created a guest network just using 2.4GHz (the current router has smart connect and forces the cameras to 2.4 anyways, but I figured I would give it a shot. 

- Disabled firewall on the router as well. Actually, disabled almost anything I could find that could even remotely cause the issue (but maybe I missed a setting?). I can even see traffic for the camera. 

- When pulling the battery it shows it connects (well at least the app sees it with a low battery. I have tried 4 fully charged batteries to the same effect. 

I tried looking everywhere if there is some settings I am missing in my router, but I can not find anything that worked. Is there a specific control channel these need to run on? I'm kind of at a loss and considering just returning them if I can't get them working 😕

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No network expert here but I wonder if it's the use of 2 routers to form a mesh that's causing this. Can you disable one router temporarily for testing?

devnullish
Tutor
Tutor

I did give that a try and it was still an issue. I'm not sure if there is a setting in my router I need to change, but I can't seem to find anything that would make a difference when looking around. 

Is there some setup article I am missing?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Dunno if there's an FAQ your missing but browse the selection found in the support section here.

Is your WiFi set to WPA2-AES? That's needed to connect.

devnullish
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah, it seems the initial connection isn't the issue really. It will get connected and at the part of the setup where you can see the wireless signal / bandwidth it will just say its connecting. The video feed works just fine. Once you set it where you want (which at this point is just on my desk) and finish the set up it shows offline. 

I'm certain its a setting in my home network, but nothing I have tried seems to help or fix it. I don't run anything over complicated and keep everything standard for simplicities sake. I've taken my network completely out of the equation and disabled bridge mode on my xfinity router and it seems to work decently, but then I lose all functionality of my mesh network (which is disabled on 2.4GHz with the same issues). Kind of at a loss here 😕

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@devnullish wrote:

disabled bridge mode on my xfinity router and it seems to work decently, but then I lose all functionality of my mesh network (which is disabled on 2.4GHz with the same issues). Kind of at a loss here 😕

You could double-route to get the mesh working again (and you could re-enable 2.4 gHz on the mesh - perhaps manually setting the channels on both the xfinity and the mesh to avoid interference).

The main downside of double routing is that you need to put in any port forwarding twice (forwarding in the xfinity to the mesh "wan" address, and in the mesh to the final destination).

devnullish
Tutor
Tutor

So I think I figured it, not sure why the this would be a problem but yeah...

This router has smart connect, which allows all bands to be broadcast on a single SSID and the router moves them in between bands as it sees fit. My best guess is that it was trying to move the cameras from the 2.4 (initial connection) to the 5.0 after seeing the strong signal. This of course wouldn't work with these cameras that only support 2.4.

Disabled it, made a separate SSID for each band and it worked without issues. Technically it should have worked on a guest network as well, but it wouldn't. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@devnullish wrote:

Disabled it, made a separate SSID for each band and it worked without issues. Technically it should have worked on a guest network as well, but it wouldn't. 

Guest networks often isolate clients from each other - if the ASUS network was doing that, then onboarding would have failed (since there is some broadcast traffic going between the client and the phone).

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation