Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 night vision has foggy white “halo” around images.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Ed393
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed an Arlo Pro 4, three camera bundle from Best Buy, to replace my Pro 3 setup via their Geek Squad Protection Plan. One of the new cameras has a white “halo” or fog, that encircles the entire frame. I noticed this when I reviewed the 18 second video of an owl that flies down, captures something, then takes off with its prey. The other two cameras do not face the house or other buildings. Could this be caused by light leaking in somewhere behind the lens or internal condensation? I didn’t see anything similarly posted in the past.

Your input and advice is much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Frankly, the hooded skin really doesn't help with weather issues - I've never used them. While you don't seem to have a problem with your other cameras, my first suggestion is to remove the skin for testing.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A screenshot of this would help diagnose the issue but the usual suspect is that the night vision light is reflecting off a nearby surface. Do you have any kind of skin on the camera that could be extending far enough forward to reflect any light?

Ed393
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is a screenshot of the issue at hand and a picture of the camera with a hooded skin to help protect it from rain and snow/sleet in the winter. One of the other Pro 4 cameras has the same protective skins. Even though I’m concerned about the white fog, I was impressed by its quick response with the floodlight. 

IMG_4344.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Frankly, the hooded skin really doesn't help with weather issues - I've never used them. While you don't seem to have a problem with your other cameras, my first suggestion is to remove the skin for testing.

Ed393
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’ll remove them today, then see how the images look tonight and let you know.

Thank you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ed393 wrote:

I’ll remove them today, then see how the images look tonight and let you know.

Also you should try swapping the camera with one in another location, and see if the problem moves with the camera (or not).

Ed393
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for the delayed response. The suggestion worked. I removed the aftermarket skins from the cameras and the images became clear again. I swapped the cameras around and made sure it wasn’t location specific as suggested as well. 
I do appreciate the help and glad I didn’t pay much for the protective coverings. Now I need to leave a review about them.

Ed393
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sorry for the delayed response. The suggestion worked. I removed the aftermarket skins from the cameras and the images became clear again. I swapped the cameras around and made sure it wasn’t location specific as suggested as well. 
I do appreciate the help and glad I didn’t pay much for the protective coverings. Now I need to leave a review about them.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You could trim the hood to see if that helps, assuming you'd rather keep the skins on.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation