Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Goddag10
Tutor
Tutor

Hi I have a vmb4500 hub and 3 cameras, I think it was a pro 2 setup, I can't remember and it doesn't tell me in the app anywhere, anyway I don't have a subscription and record locally, no issues, I've just added a pro 4 camera but it doesn't record or screenshot at all, there's no record button on the livestream, 2k stream is set to off, the rules are the same for all 4 cameras and I've tried all of the restart/formatting and removing/adding steps, any idea how to solve this? (My 3 original cameras are all recording/working the same as before).

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Goddag10 wrote:

I've just added a pro 4 camera but it doesn't record or screenshot at all, there's no record button on the livestream, 2k stream is set to off, the rules are the same for all 4 cameras

Does the Pro 4 have the trial subscription activated?  The Pro 4 requires a subscription to get any cloud recording.

One point - many owners of Pro /Pro 2 cameras think their 7-day free recordings are being accessed from the USB drive connected to their base.  That's not the case.  The 7-day free recordings are in the cloud.  With the VMB4500 base, the only way to see the locally stored recordings is to eject the USB drive and connect it to a PC.

There is a direct access to local storage feature, but that is limited to the VMB4540 and VMB5000 smarthubs.  It's not a great experience - there are several limitations.

@Goddag10 wrote:

I think it was a pro 2 setup, I can't remember and it doesn't tell me in the app anywhere, anyway I don't have a subscription and record locally, no issues,

Part of Arlo's end-of-life announcement for the Pro/Pro 2 cameras says that you will lose the free cloud recording you have now.  The Pro (VMC4030) will lose it on 1 April 2023, the Pro 2 (VMC4030p) will lose it on 1 January 2024.  Cloud recordings will then require a subscription.

You can tell what model you have by opening the camera and removing the battery - there is a label inside.  In the specific case of the Pro / Pro 2 models, this picture can also be used to identify your cameras:

arlo-pro-vs-arlo-pro-2-1.jpg

Goddag10
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks mate, so basically the clips that are already being stored via my initial setup (pro 2) are stored in the cloud not on my memory stick? 

Pretty useless setup then, especially as they're stopping support for it, what a waste of money!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Goddag10 wrote:

so basically the clips that are already being stored via my initial setup (pro 2) are stored in the cloud not on my memory stick? 

Clips should be stored on your memory stick also, but the ones you see in the app and browser are in the cloud.

FWIW, often you will see clips on the memory stick that never made it to the cloud.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation