Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
AlShehri
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have 2 x Pro 2 cameras. I'm able to record videos manually and take snapshots. Motion detection videos are auto recorded and saved in the local USB of VMB4000 base..
Recently 3 x Pro 4 cameras are added. Manual video recording and snapshots icons are not visible in the screen. In addition, Motion detection videos are not getting recorded neither saved in the USB storage. Push notification is working. Armed policy is well configured. Just not sure what is the problem. As per the support, VMB4000 is compatible with Pro 4. Any advice or help please? Thank you
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AlShehri wrote:

Is the issue related to compatibility limitation between pro4 and VMB4000 base?

Not exactly.  You aren't seeing any of the locally stored videos in the app or browser (from any camera).

Your older cameras came with 7-day free cloud storage.  Arlo stopped offering that with newer cameras (starting with the Ultra back in 2018).   

A smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) would give you direct access to local storage.  So that is an option.  There are some limitations:

• Access to local recordings is only via the app (not the browser)
  • Access to local recordings is only available in the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • No thumbnails
  • remote access to local recordings requires router configuration (which some find difficult)

Some folks have used a VPN router to work around the subscription issue.  But I think you'd need to set up a new account after doing that.  Not 100% sure, as that's not something I've ever needed to do.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Dannybear
Master
Master
If you have the pro4 cameras on a subscription plan you should have cloud recordings.
Not sure if it will record to the 4000 base without it.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:
If you have the pro4 cameras on a subscription plan you should have cloud recordings.

I agree that subscription status is the first thing to check.

Note that manual recording is only available if you have a subscription, and if 2K livestreaming is turned off.

@Dannybear wrote:

Not sure if it will record to the 4000 base without it.

It will, but you need to eject the USB drive and connect it to a PC to review local storage (for all cameras).  The app and browser only show you cloud recordings.

AlShehri
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Dannybear and Guru...

I'm based in Dubai. Unfortunately subscription option is not available. I cannot subscribe to any plan!! Is the issue related to compatibility limitation between pro4 and VMB4000 base?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AlShehri wrote:

Is the issue related to compatibility limitation between pro4 and VMB4000 base?

Not exactly.  You aren't seeing any of the locally stored videos in the app or browser (from any camera).

Your older cameras came with 7-day free cloud storage.  Arlo stopped offering that with newer cameras (starting with the Ultra back in 2018).   

A smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) would give you direct access to local storage.  So that is an option.  There are some limitations:

• Access to local recordings is only via the app (not the browser)
  • Access to local recordings is only available in the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots
  • No thumbnails
  • remote access to local recordings requires router configuration (which some find difficult)

Some folks have used a VPN router to work around the subscription issue.  But I think you'd need to set up a new account after doing that.  Not 100% sure, as that's not something I've ever needed to do.

AlShehri
Aspirant
Aspirant

I unplugged the USB safely and connected to my computer, surprisingly I can see motion detection movies only. Still manual record and snapshot are not working.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@AlShehri wrote:

Still manual record and snapshot are not working.

I don't think you can even make a manual recording or snapshot with a Pro 4 w/o a subscription.

AlShehri
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you StephenB for your support and great help. I will try VPN option and see how it works.

Dannybear
Master
Master
Manual recordings or snapshots are only available to the arlo cloud for all cameras regardless of camera models or subscription plan is my understanding. The only recordings to the base are triggered events.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:
Manual recordings or snapshots are only available to the arlo cloud for all cameras regardless of camera models or subscription plan is my understanding. The only recordings to the base are triggered events.

Certainly you can't make a manual recording or snapshot w/o a subscription.

Not sure if a manual recording is also stored on the base if you do have a subscription [or not] - it's not something I've tested.

AlShehri
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Stephen,

your support is really appreciated. It's working fine now...

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation