Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Motion detection failing

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
GW1234
Tutor
Tutor
Since the December firmware update, my Pro4 is failing to detect motion consistently. I removed the device and re-added, and it will detect motion for about a day before it stops detecting again. If I reboot the camera, it will start working again until it doesn’t.

It’s on a subscription, battery is charged, network is good, camera is armed . Arlo doorbell is not exhibiting this issue. I’m at a loss. Can I downgrade firmware somehow?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GW1234
Tutor
Tutor

I managed to resolve this without contacting support. First:
I tried removing the camera,
performing a factory reset,
fully charging the camera,
and re-adding it using the same name "Driveway". 
Verifying the camera is armed and the activity zone is set appropriately

This resulted in the same behavior: motion detection worked for several hours, then alerting stopped.  The camera was still connected and accessible, only motion detection was not working.  I reviewed every possible setting and tested motion and could find no fault,  the camera simply did not record when motion was present in the activity zone.  I tried this several times and achieved the same result each time. I should add this camera was NOT on a schedule.

Finally, I:
Removed the camera from the app,
Performed a factory reset on the camera,
Fully charged the camera,
Added it in the app and named it a different name: Drive,
Created a new activity zone,

It is now working properly and recording and alerting on motion. The settings are identical to the previous attempts except for the name. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No but you can move the camera closer to your router for testing to see if that makes a difference.

GW1234
Tutor
Tutor
They’re adjacent and have been performing flawlessly for 8 months. Only change that correlates is firmware update. Realize correlation is not causation but it’s a pretty strange coincidence.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd still brinng the camera closer for testing.

GW1234
Tutor
Tutor
Short of unscrewing the router’s case and placing the camera inside, I’m afraid it’s not possible to get them any closer. Same behavior if I spread them out as well. The camera has connectivity.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since you have a subscription you're entitled to support using Settings, Support. It may be a faulty camera so you have to work with that process.

GW1234
Tutor
Tutor

I managed to resolve this without contacting support. First:
I tried removing the camera,
performing a factory reset,
fully charging the camera,
and re-adding it using the same name "Driveway". 
Verifying the camera is armed and the activity zone is set appropriately

This resulted in the same behavior: motion detection worked for several hours, then alerting stopped.  The camera was still connected and accessible, only motion detection was not working.  I reviewed every possible setting and tested motion and could find no fault,  the camera simply did not record when motion was present in the activity zone.  I tried this several times and achieved the same result each time. I should add this camera was NOT on a schedule.

Finally, I:
Removed the camera from the app,
Performed a factory reset on the camera,
Fully charged the camera,
Added it in the app and named it a different name: Drive,
Created a new activity zone,

It is now working properly and recording and alerting on motion. The settings are identical to the previous attempts except for the name. 

northwind79
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hit the same exact issue on mine, worked fine until I setup the activity zone, shortly after it stopped notifying me based on motion.  I took the same steps, pulled the camera, removed it from the app, factory reset, fully charged battery, appears to be working now.  We'll see how it goes, thank you for the tip!  The other cameras with activity zones so far are working fine.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation