Looking for the best way using Arlo pro 4

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
SCHLABIN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Here is the situation.  Somewhat remote cabin where I get weak cell phone signal but no other way to get internet other than using hotspots there.  I can boost the cell signal to make it more reliable and then use a hotspot if possible to use the wifi of the Arlo cameras.

Can this be done even with a wifi extender or will the cameras eat up the data plans for this?

What are some other options knowing the parameters above?

4 REPLIES 4
Dannybear
Master
Master

Have you considered satellite internet?

What is the cellular data coverage for the location, 3G, 4G.

If your wanting CVR capability you will chew through your data.

You may want to consider the arlo Go camera that connects to the cellular provider if you only need a single camera and just want to check in from time to time. You purchase the connection time.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SCHLABIN wrote:

Here is the situation.  Somewhat remote cabin where I get weak cell phone signal but no other way to get internet other than using hotspots there.  I can boost the cell signal to make it more reliable and then use a hotspot if possible to use the wifi of the Arlo cameras.

Can this be done even with a wifi extender

It can be done with a hotspot/extender, though the Go or Go 2 camera would be more direct if the cell signal is adequate.

You might need to power the camera(s) with AC - which would eliminate the need to recharge the batteries.  They can drain pretty quickly if the internet connection is poor or intermittent.

As far as the data plan goes, it largely depends on how much the camera streams/records video.  The Pro 4 can send up to 2 megabits per second (perhaps 15 MB over a minute).  Firmware updates would also be done over the network - though they are not that frequent.  There is some other bandwidth used to stay connected to the cloud, but it should be fairly small in comparison to the video streaming.

SCHLABIN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at Starlink and talked to someone else in the area that uses it and it works well.  It is the $110 a month and the time to get it that seems unreliable.  It is a family cabin where someone isn't there all the time hence the cameras.  

I have looked at cellular options including a Cat 12 router with Waveform antennas.  It seems I can buy a plan with so much data per month but I am not sure how much data I will use since it shouldn't be triggered to often since it shouldn't have too much foot traffic around it.  It would be three cameras as well.

SCHLABIN
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply as well.

I am not sure about the data usage is one of my problems.  I have seen some prepaid plans that can do 100MB but I am not sure that is enough.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation