Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local-storage with wifi-connected cams

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mathiasV
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello I have not yet bought an Arlo cam, but I am considering buying and setting one up 4 x Arlo Pro 4 cameras for the office space I am in.

It is necessary for me to connect my Arlo cam-setup on my own existing mesh network. The reason is that the office space does not have easy wifi-radiation throughput, so I reckon I would have to set up 3 or 4 base-stations/smarthubs to make the solution work.

So my question basically boils down to, if I want localstorage, and connect my Arlo cams to the existing mesh, will it then be enough to buy one base-station/smarthub and connect it to the ethernet, so it can store all the local video?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mathiasV wrote:

Thank you for your answer Stephen.

So just to be perfectly clear, if I want to set the cameras up to an existing mesh network, it will not be possible to record using local storage in any way?

That is true with the Pro 4 cameras.

The Go 2 cameras support both wifi and cellular connections, and they have a microSD slot.  So they will record when connected to a mesh - but you'd need to take down the cameras, and put the microSD card in a PC to review the recordings.

So the most practical option is to get a subscription.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mathiasV wrote:

if I want local storage, and connect my Arlo cams to the existing mesh, will it then be enough to buy one base-station/smarthub and connect it to the ethernet, so it can store all the local video?

No.  That won't work.  The base only records for cameras connected to the base.

mathiasV
Aspirant
Aspirant

So just to be perfectly clear, if I want to set the cameras up to an existing mesh network, it will not be possible to record using local storage in any way?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@mathiasV wrote:

That is true with the Pro 4 cameras.

The Go 2 cameras support both wifi and cellular connections, and they have a microSD slot.  So they will record when connected to a mesh - but you'd need to take down the cameras, and put the microSD card in a PC to review the recordings.

So the most practical option is to get a subscription.

mathiasV
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

Thanks a lot for your help getting this information, it is very much appreciated.

I would also prefer a subscription security-wise, since having the recordings locally is kind of insecure. Not sure about my employer though, he tends to want the cheapest solution 😅

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation