Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
IlMoro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

will there be any limitation in the Pro4 features if the hub is not used so the Pro4 cameras will be connected directly to the WiFi access point?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For more information on what additional features are available when connecting to a SmartHub or Base Station, refer to the Arlo Pro 4 Manual here (Page 19 ) Pro 4 Wire-Free Spotlight Camera User Manual

JamesC

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
dcfox1
Master
Master

If you connect to wifi only you will need a smart subscription for cloud storage. There will be no local recording storage on Hub if not connected to that. So it depends on how you want to have recordings. If you connect to Hub you can have both with subscription. 

IlMoro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Got it, fair enough.

Is there any other limitation?

dcfox1
Master
Master

Not that I know of beside the features with the subscription.

It is essentially the Pro 3 with a wifi option. You can read the FAQ here. 

If I missed something a mod could correct me. I will get one to try with Wfi to see if it helps with range for one cam but I have the subscription. 

jwood1
Star
Star

This is from the Pro3 spotlight users manual:

An Arlo SmartHub or base station isn’t included in the package with your floodlight. They are
sold separately. Using your floodlight with a SmartHub or base station gives you access to
these additional features:
• 2K local streaming and 2K local recording
• Auto Zoom and Tracking
• CVR (with a subscription)
• Use local storage on an SD card in a VMB5000 SmartHub or on a USB storage device
connected to the SmartHub VMB4540 or base station VMB4500 or VMB4000.
• Use remote access for SmartHubs VMB5000 and VMB4540.

IlMoro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the info however it is not that useful for the original question.

jwood1
Star
Star

Well, the post describes the additional features available when a smart hub is used vs connecting directly to WiFi.  This is the same whether using the Pro3 floodlight or the Pro4, both can connect direct to WiFi.  I have had my Pro4s connected direct to WiFi for about a week now, and they work great.  I haven't found those additional features listed to be anything I really care about.  I enjoy all the smart features and modes/rules.

kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

IF CVR and Auto Zoom and Tracking are only available via a hub then that is BS....CVR is a subscription feature so WHY would you need a hub? And the hardware is clearly capable of Auto-Zoom and Tracking so then WHY would it be bound to a hub?? 2K local streaming is the ONLY think that should be tied to a hub...

I have the VMB5000 with 2 Ultra's and the response and lag time is ridiculously frustrating...the Hub is broadcasting it's own 2.4Ghz network which will just interfere with your other home wireless network. I was thinking about trying to sell my Ultra's and go with the Pro 4's BUT if I can't get CVR without the hub then Arlo as an entire product will lose my business forever. 

If anyone has ever used Nest Cam's they have superior app, great video quality at 1080 only, and their app allows for cloud/CVR clips to be saved directly to your phone in a matter of seconds...the ONLY reason I tried Arlo is because they are battery powered and have HomeKit integration. 

IlMoro
Aspirant
Aspirant

This post is becoming little confusing.

I cannot understand what "jwood1" is writing about since "dcfox1" wrote that there is no lack of features without the hub except for the obvious local recording.

kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

Apparently it’s CVR (continuous video recording) which results in a scrolling timeline and not just triggered clips. As well as auto-zoom and tracking, and then “local” SD-card downloads of the clips...

jwood1
Star
Star

IIMoro

I was simply quoting what is said in the Arlo Manual, precisely because it seemed to include more features that are lacking in WiFi only than was stated by dcfox1.  I am certainly no expert on these cams, so maybe an Arlo rep can clarify for us.

IlMoro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Totally agree.

As usual there is no correct information on new products and features, just marketing strategies that point on cunning and hiding info (read as "scam") other than correct info and quality.

Arlo, are you able to provide a correct answer about this important topic?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

For more information on what additional features are available when connecting to a SmartHub or Base Station, refer to the Arlo Pro 4 Manual here (Page 19 ) Pro 4 Wire-Free Spotlight Camera User Manual

JamesC

IlMoro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Now it seems that the without the Hub Pro4 loose:

• 2K local streaming and 2K local recording
• Auto Zoom and Tracking
• CVR (with a subscription)
• Use local storage on an SD card in a VMB5000 SmartHub or on a USB storage device
connected to the SmartHub VMB4540 or base station VMB4500 or VMB4000.
• Use remote access for SmartHubs VMB5000 and VMB4540.

So "jwood1" statement that it is basically a Pro3 without a hub seems to be wrong.

A part the last two point cannot  understand why the first three features, especially, 2k local streaming and CVR with a subscription, are unavailable.

Hard to think about technical issue in 2020. Marketing strategies?

jwood1
Star
Star

IIMoro

I never said that that.  If you read my post #5, I said exactly what JamesC was referencing in the Pro4 manual.  Just trying to be helpful, but please don't misquote me.

kspenser
Tutor
Tutor

So CVR is hardware bound to using a hub? DO NOT point me to the manual-If this is the case then this is horrible design or profit grabbing. 

There should be NO reason based on the hardware of the camera that would require a hub. WHY do you need a hub for CVR? Why can't be this done entirely in the cloud? 

My goal is to get rid of the HUB completely because of the poor network configuration and saturation it causes. 

Again, Nest Cam's offer CVR without any additional hardware needed AND connect directly to the network.....*sigh. 

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation