Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jmurt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Videos in the library from 4 of 5 cameras play fine on both my Samsung Galaxy Tab A and on my Samsung Note 8 cell.  Videos from one camera will not play on the Tab A.  I can see the 1st (or last?) shot but when I hit play, it goes to a Black screen.  I can look at it live, but not the recorded video.

If I download it to Photos, instead of playing it asks me what to open with.  If I select Video Player it says Codec not supported.  If I select Photos it plays a black image just as when I do it through the library.

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jmurt wrote:

Videos in the library from 4 of 5 cameras play fine on both my Samsung Galaxy Tab A and on my Samsung Note 8 cell.  Videos from one camera will not play on the Tab A.  I can see the 1st (or last?) shot but when I hit play, it goes to a Black screen.  I can look at it live, but not the recorded video.

If I download it to Photos, instead of playing it asks me what to open with.  If I select Video Player it says Codec not supported.  If I select Photos it plays a black image just as when I do it through the library.

This is almost certainly because the 5th camera is sending 2K or 4K video using the HEVC codec.  The Galaxy Tab A is too old to play this - though the Note 8 ought to play it I think.

One thing you can try is to enable "Auto Zoom & Tracking" in the camera's video settings.  That will reduce the resolution to 1080p, and switch the codec to AVC - which will play on older devices.

jmurt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks. That did work, but of course it does not let me view the earlier videos.  But it is odder even still.  I had a Samsung Galaxy Tab A (8", 2019) and it showed the videos fine, but was getting very sluggish so I bought a new one.  The one with the problem is a Galaxy Tab A8, supposedly this year's model.  Comparing the Software Information from Settings, they have the same version of Android etc.  The A8 does have a newer Security Software version and is 10" instead of 8".  

The three Pro 3 cameras were all bought at the same time and were all set up the same.  I cannot understand why the Galaxy A8 can read the videos from two of them but not the 3rd.  I may have to return the A8 which I just bought yesterday.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jmurt wrote:

I cannot understand why the Galaxy A8 can read the videos from two of them but not the 3rd.  

The third one was recording 2K with HEVC, while the other two were recording 1080p with AVC.

FWIW, the Tab A8 specifications do include HEVC, but don't specify the resolution.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation