Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Lorne3550
Aspirant
Aspirant

What does the description "regulates internet" on the website's overview of the smart hub mean? Does it allocate or prioritize bandwidth to the camera?

My issue is with my Essential and Pro 4, it will sometimes go live in a few seconds and sometimes not for twenty minutes. Sometimes both cameras lose internet connection and I have to manually reconnect them. Both cameras connect directly to the internet. I am wondering if a smart hub will solve this? When I test both cameras at my church they work well without any of the above issues.

5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lorne3550,

Adding a SmartHub could improve performance, but this will depend on your specific environment. The symptoms you describe here, could be an indication of poor signal strength or WiFi interference, adding a SmartHub and positioning it so the cameras have better signal strength could alleviate the issues you're experiencing.

JamesC

Lorne3550
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. I am beginning to wonder if a reason is the router is on the front wall at one end of the house, and the camera is on the same wall at the other end of the house (small ranch style). Theoretically, I wonder about signal diffraction and electrical wiring are contributing to the issue. I'm going to try an extender at more of a right angle. 

jwood1
Star
Star

I have a similar issue.  I have had four Pro4 cameras spaced around the exterior of the house.  All show "strong" internet signal.  One of the cameras just went "offline" as shown on the app: I cannot connect to it or change any settings.  However, the camera continues to record motion and and those recordings appear in my library from the cloud.  Therefore, it is in fact connected to my wifi, otherwise it could not upload recordings.  So, why is it showing offline? Camera battery is fine, and WiFi is fine:  250/150 mb/s speed, strong signal.

With respect to dropping a wifi connection, I can certainly understand that WiFi interference could cause this, particularly on exterior cameras, or in the event of a power interuption.  But why cant these cameras be set to automatically re-connect when the wifi signal reappears?  I shouldn't have to get out my ladder and manually reconnect a camera.  If I am away on vacation and this happens, my security is totally non-functional.

Lorne3550
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve also tried keeping my Pro 4 in the zoom mode: it’s supposed to use 1080 which is less data but it doesn’t seem to help. At a different location which has “business class” internet I don’t have these issues.
Lorne3550
Aspirant
Aspirant

Update to my post about Pro 4 taking so long to connect live: as I said the router and camera are on the same wall at opposite ends of the front of the house. I thought this may interfere with the signal and weaken it. I put my Essential on the back side so it is a 90⁰ angle to the router. The Essential is connecting much quicker, within 10 seconds most of the time. The issue seems to be location and signal quality.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation