Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

I’m sure this is a moot point - but I’m wondering if anyone has had any ideas on how to keep Arlo cameras warm in the colder winter temperatures.  I understand the situation would be quite hard with units that are battery-driven only, but for units with power connections I would expect that perhaps there is a route to keeping them warm.  Anyone thought about this?

Thanks.

-Bob

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

I’m sure this is a moot point - but I’m wondering if anyone has had any ideas on how to keep Arlo cameras warm in the colder winter temperatures.  I understand the situation would be quite hard with units that are battery-driven only, but for units with power connections I would expect that perhaps there is a route to keeping them warm.  Anyone thought about this?

This comes up a lot, and so far there aren't any good answers.

Though when I saw your post, it did occur to me that wrapping heat tape around the housing (normally used to keep pipes from freezing) might work.  You'd only want to turn on the heat tape when the temps got too cold for the camera.

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks, @StephenB  - interesting idea.  The problem is, I don’t think the casing would take too well to the heat.

oh well.  Always wishful thinking and keeping you ears open to ideas!

-Bob

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

Thanks, @StephenB  - interesting idea.  The problem is, I don’t think the casing would take too well to the heat.

That could be a problem, since heat tape can get very hot.  It might also heat the camera over the max temperature when it is on.  So maybe not the best idea...

a29038
Tutor
Tutor

below like -4* the camera doesnt work even if it has power running to it..some people build stuff like a box and insulate it only showing the face of the camera otherwise no theres nothing that ive seem..im in chicago and just had -8 so 2 days my outside camera wasnt working because low temp..once it got to 1* i brought the camera inside for an hour or so then it worked fine

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks.  I thought about that.   This last cold snap in MN was very nasty and it is just something we'll have to put up with on the cameras.  I would like to figure out a way to "lock" the camera so it can't be stolen off the mountings though.

Thanks!

-Bob

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation