Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I tell if my Arlo Pro 4 camera is working through WiFi or not - versus the base station?

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

I have a Google Mesh network at my home and I’m confused as to whether my cameras are operating through the mesh or trying to connect to the Base station.  I am using the Arlo Secure program so I get full use of the cameras.  My apps that I am using are iOS-based (from iPad, iPhone).  I can see the cameras via Apple Home and the Arlo app.

One of my cameras is in my pasture - looking into the Cow shed.  I get intermittent response from the camera (weather? Or perhaps the Tin on the shed is causing a disruption even though there is clear LOS to the house) and would like to improve it.  Is there any way to verify the connection and/or improve it?  

Any ideas on how I can improve it and/or make sure that it is talking via WiFi (I have a strong signal out there).

Thanks!

-Bob

15 REPLIES 15
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I'm not sure how the google mesh system works, but I assume it's something like you have a main router, then some access points or extenders around your house/property. You should be able to log into the access point/extender and see what's connected to it. My netgear extender lets me see connected devices on it.

DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

If you look in the arlo app under settings page select “My Devices” it should display a list of your bases and cameras. If a camera is attached to a base it should be showing directly under the base device name.

The pro4 camera connection method is not dynamic, meaning it requires manual input to change between direct wifi and base station.

Bartley
Luminary
Luminary

In the app when on the device screen, If you go into the camera setting (little gear icon) it should show the network it is connected to if you are using Wi-Fi. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

I have a Google Mesh network at my home and I’m confused as to whether my cameras are operating through the mesh or trying to connect to the Base station.  

To clarify this - if the camera was connected to your base station when you onboarded, then it is always connecting to your base, and never connecting directly to your home wifi.

In addition to the other responses: if you simply turn off the base station then the camera will immediately go off-line if you are connecting through the base.

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Ok. 

So I checked.  All cameras show the Station and not Wifi.  So does that mean I need to delete the camera and re-add so it uses WiFi?

Another question - what good are the Base Stations if you are using Mesh system and Arlo Secure to put things in the Cloud?

Thanks for all of your answers and help.

-Bob

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

what good are the Base Stations if you are using Mesh system and Arlo Secure to put things in the Cloud?

The main feature is that the smarthubs offer local storage.  That would act as a backup to the cloud storage.

@rmonio wrote:

All cameras show the Station and not Wifi.  So does that mean I need to delete the camera and re-add so it uses WiFi?

Yes.

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. 

I will try that on a per camera basis and see what happens.    I know for sure that my base station (where it is) can’t reach the one camera - but with Wifi it will have 5 bars.  

-Bob

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Another question - do the hubs act as a wifi spot to talk to the cameras?  (When there is no mesh system or router, for example).   What networking protocol do they use to talk to the cameras?

Thanks!

-Bob

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

Another question - do the hubs act as a wifi spot to talk to the cameras?  (When there is no mesh system or router, for example).   What networking protocol do they use to talk to the cameras?

The bases are specialized routers that connect to your network with ethernet and create a closed wifi network that the camera joins. They aren't simply acting as routers (or hot spots), as they clearly are providing some application services (for example local storage).

As far as networking protocols, they clearly started with 802.11. Arlo says that they tuned it to optimized power - but since you can't join that network or manage it in any way, it is impossible to see exactly what they've changed.

When you are not connected to your home network, the communication path is camera->base->router->arlo cloud->app/browser.

When you are connected to your home network, I suspect there is some traffic that goes camera->base->router->home wifi/ethernet->app/browser (not relayed through the Arlo Cloud). But I haven't tried to analyze when the Arlo application does that.  

As an aside, the new home security system can connect to the new Pro 5s camera using a proprietary protocol Arlo is calling Arlo SecureLink:  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlo-announces-all-new-pro-5s-2k-camera-supported-by-its-most-comprehensi...

• Dual-Band Wi-Fi Support: Automatically connect to the strongest network available between 5 GHz or 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi for the strongest possible connection
  • SecureLink Connection: Pair with Arlo Home Security System through Arlo SecureLink for continuous connectivity during internet and power outages, stronger encryption and longer range and battery life (Requires a Cellular and Battery Backup accessory and Professional Monitoring Subscription Plan).

Arlo hasn't given any details on the link between the security system and the camera, though in one spot they do describe it as providing "tri-band connectivity". 

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB This is great information.  Thank you.  It would make sense that there was a closed loop connectivity behind the base station, however, if you have the home network bandwidth then I think it would be preferable to go that route, connect to the cameras (and if possible, the base station) for maximum connectivity.  Perhaps it isn’t there yet, but I can see that happening in the future.

For my home mesh network, I want to use the amplification that the hubs provide to reach my outside cameras (just like they reach any other device - phone, tablet, etc.) so I don’t have to buy additional base stations to expand the closed loop network.  I am going to start testing by deleting and re-adding cameras using the wifi approach (in the instructions) to make sure that the reach is there for me.  

Are there any recommendations on using these cameras in cold climates (ex. Minnesota) and how to “shelter” them so they stay warm enough to work?  I think the biggest issue is the battery, right?  I have mine plugged in and recharged at night on a timer so they usually have significant charge.  We use ours to monitor our pastures, animals, and other items.  

Thanks for everyone’s help!

-Bob

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

however, if you have the home network bandwidth then I think it would be preferable to go that route, connect to the cameras (and if possible, the base station) for maximum connectivity.  Perhaps it isn’t there yet, but I can see that happening in the future.

Right now it's an either-or.  Either connect the Pro 4 to your wifi, or connect it to a smarthub if you want local storage, homekit, or (I think) CVR. 

I agree it be nice if you could use a base even when the cameras are connected over home wifi 

@rmonio wrote:

For my home mesh network, I want to use the amplification that the hubs provide to reach my outside cameras (just like they reach any other device - phone, tablet, etc.) so I don’t have to buy additional base stations to expand the closed loop network.  I am going to start testing by deleting and re-adding cameras using the wifi approach (in the instructions) to make sure that the reach is there for me.  

I'd start by testing your home wifi speed at the camera locations using your phone (the free Ookla app).  

If that gives decent speeds, then try deleting and re-adding the camera.

@rmonio wrote:

Are there any recommendations on using these cameras in cold climates (ex. Minnesota) and how to “shelter” them so they stay warm enough to work?  I think the biggest issue is the battery, right?  I have mine plugged in and recharged at night on a timer so they usually have significant charge.  We use ours to monitor our pastures, animals, and other items.  

FWIW, I almost never see temperatures below 15F.

The battery won't charge below 32F; the camera is supposed to operate down to -4F.  

Recharging during the day is probably better than charging at night, since day temps are warmer.  Or just remove the timer - Arlo says the cameras do have overcharge protection.

Some have found that their cameras will run at colder temps when on AC power with the battery removed.  I don't know if that's the case with the Pro 4 or not, but maybe worth a try.  

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for this information.  I’m working on moving my cameras over to WiFi only right now.

I will probably need to put in dedicated power under the eaves of the Barn so I can charge during the day - given the temperature issue.  Bummer.

Any idea why we lose HomeKit connections if we don’t use the Base Station?

-Bob

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I've used my Pro 2 cameras outside in -10F with wind chills in the -25F range and never had an issue. I wasn't trying to charge it since they hold charges for months, but they worked fine in the extreme cold for live view and motion alerts.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@rmonio wrote:

Any idea why we lose HomeKit connections if we don’t use the Base Station?

I don't know why (but you definitely do need the base to get that feature).

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

Bummer.  

But then again, the Arlo app does all that we need.  Watching it on Home isn’t that useful to us.

Since I switched to Wifi on the cameras, the speed and accessibility has improved quite a bit.  I have everything over on Wifi - including the doorbell.

I hope that Arlo puts in more functionality in the future - I see there are issues where people would prefer to turn off calling from the doorbell to multiple people (vs. just one).  Not sure if they are implementing that yet or not.

We’ll see how things do now that we’re getting into our colder weather spells.  

Thanks, @StephenB@pc2k17 , @Bartley , and @DannyBearAgain !

-Bob

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation