Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Homekit Secure Video Support

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
djclemente
Initiate
Initiate

I have to say that I am very disappointed in Arlo and their representation of compatibility with HomeKit.  After spending considerable amounts of money on cameras/spotlights/base station, etc., I find out that my specific device is not supported for secure video storage.  A product is either compatible or not.

The used excuse is that Arlo cares so much about my privacy that they only trust their servers; well, I think where I store my data should be my choice, and I should not be forced into yet another subscription service to realize the full potential of a system that was sold on the basis of being compatible.

How exactly do i get a refund on the items that I bought?

6 REPLIES 6
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Which device are you trying to connect to the Homekit? 

nate6281
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same complaint. I don't see that Arlo allows the use of HomeKit secure video. Is there any update on this topic?

VMB4540r4

VMC4041P

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We do not support the Homekit Secure Video.

MattX
Initiate
Initiate

This really isn't an acceptable stance from your company. There are other companies that are compatible with Homekit secure video. If they can do it, so can yours.

If you look around on various consumer discussion forums, the question of your products' compatibility is often posed.  As soon as the answer is no, your product is dismissed as a potential choice. If your company chooses not to be compatible, then the simple response from our part is then: we won't use your products.

miguelcma
Guide
Guide

I'm getting rid of ALL my Arlo cameras today for this exact same reason. Unfortunately I can't get a refund because they have months or years, but I'm selling them and moving to another 2 brands that support Homekit Secure Video.

I know why Arlo doesn't want to support Homekit Secure Video. It's simple: because it goes against their business model of selling the montlhy subscription. But this is stupid. They should be ONLY focused on selling the best hardware as possible and let Apple do the rest.

It's a pitty, really, becase Arlo's hardware is the best. The quailty of cameras image is amazing. But Arlo software? It really sucks. Sluggish, buggy and lack of good Homekit integartion. Yes, buggy, I use Arlo for 5+ years and the software is terrible, slow, Homekit suddently stops working and they don't fix it, very very laggy, the stream takes 10+ seconds to open while Homekit Secure Video takes 1 second, etc etc. Worst of all: They don't allow to manually access the stream via RTSP or similar (!!). They're completely closed in their (outdated) environment.

Arlo going IPO was probably the best for the investors but the worst for the customers.

I'm tired. And honestly? I used the be the best Arlo ambassador. Believe me. And today I quit Arlo with quite sadness.

miguelcma
Guide
Guide

The funny part of all of this is that I would happily pay for the Arlo subscription at the same time i Use Apple Secure Video. So, in fact, supporting this would not affect nor privacy (if we don't trust Apple, we don't trust anyone) nor your business model (because I would still pay for it).

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation