Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Geofencing is completely broken in the new APP

Discussion stats
baumbachaflocka
Follower
Follower

The old app worked great with geofencing, it would not arm unless every device left the area. Now it always arms if just 1 person leaves. My system is configuration is the following: anyone arrives> standby, everyone leaves> arm away

They are both set to always enabled and I have made sure that both my devices are setup correctly with always allowing precise location, notifications and do not have battery saver on. Its so frustrating because the old app worked great and the new one is so bad and we were forced to switch when we added the new cameras.

More info there is 1 iphone and 1 android phone used for geofencing, I have it set to the largest area and no other automations except for the geofencing ones.

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

Hi,

Can you try utilizing this setup for your schedules with the Arrive/Leave feature and let me know the results?

1. Select Routines > Automations > Select the (+) to create the desired schedules (When created, schedules will be listed under the Schedules section)

2. Create and enable the Arrive automation under > Select Automations > Select the (+) > Add Action > Change Mode > Select Standby > Next > Add an Action > Enable/Disable an Automation > Select the desired schedule > Next > Select Enable > Next

3.  Create and enable the Leave automation under > Select Automations > Select the (+) > Add Action > Change Mode > Select Arm Away > Next > Add an Action > Enable/Disable an Automation > Select the desired schedule > Next > Select Disable > Next  > Save

When completed you should see your options listed under the Arrive/Leave section under Automations

Thank you 

190 REPLIES 190
steinway
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have two time schedules and geofencing for arrival / leave.

1. Disarm in the morning

2. Arm in the evening - with the action to disarm geofencing when arriving (4)

3. Arm when I leave - with the action of deactivating the disarming in the morning (1)

4. Disarm when I get home - with the action of activating the arming in the evening (2)

The app nicely registers when I leave / arrive, but the automation doesn't work.

What am I missing? When I get home at night, the alarm stays disarmed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@steinway wrote:

What am I missing? When I get home at night, the alarm stays disarmed.

There are currently bugs, and the combination of scheduling+geofencing just doesn't work.  Trying to get it working before Arlo fixes the bugs will give just give you a headache.  

That said, figuring out the right combination of enabling/disabling automations is far too difficult.  IMO, what Arlo really needs to do is change the entire concept.

steinway
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the feedback - but damn! I saw posts saying it didn’t work, but it seems to be options right there in the app!?!

Well, I reckon that’s the price for using a small startup with an almost free plan…

steinway
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Brooke

In that case - it seems from quite a lot of posts in this forum, that the routines when using both geofencing AND schedules for setting up home / away. 

When can we expect a fix?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

This is still being looked into. As soon as I get an update I will reach out to the community. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you still in contact with support?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on a resolution. I do not have an exact ETA at the moment. However, as soon as I do I will update the community.

grahamam107
Aspirant
Aspirant

It’s hard to tell.  I asked a question to clarify a response, but there has been silence since then.  That was July 10.  Also I have been contacted by at least 4 people.  Elvis, Jeffrey, John and Sharmila, plus yourself.  Because I can’t see the support conversation its hard to tell whether these people are collaborating on solving my case or just tripping over each other.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

They are all working together. I will reach out to one of them today and see if there is any updates. I will update you soon. 

CamW12
Aspirant
Aspirant

The new update is terrible. I am unable to activate geofencing like I could on the previous version. The new update only allows you to choose a schedule on each day as home or away. No option to geofence to phones to activate away mode like before. Not happy. Hoping they update with a geofencing mode otherwise I will be looking at a different brand of camera

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

All

So i purchase a 5s 2k camera, install it and my arlo app has switched over to the new one and basically fcuked everything up.

Its deleted all my scheduling and geofencing options, great well done arlo, thanks a bunch.

So Ive tried setting them back up but the app is super confusing, who at arlo thought this is good?????

At the moment ive set up a timed schedule, so arm away between 2330-0500 then at 0500 ive set a a schedule to return to Arm Home mode.  I have also configured an geofencing automation to set to Arm Away/Home

What is confusing is is what overrides what?  Loads of options regarding ignoring certain automations when in certain modes.

So does a schedule overide for example if I am away and geofencing has armed away?  So if I go away for the weekend, geofencing arms home, will the schedules overide that and effectively change the mode at 0500 (as my above schedules?)

HEEEEEEEEELP, all i want is my arlo to work as it has for the last 10ish years!!!!!!!!!!   WHY arlo WHY!!!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been my experience that the schedule overrides geofencing. I've tried using the extra undocumented options but haven't come up with a solution so I have to manually change the mode while away from home.

@JamesC , @ShayneS , @BrookeN we really could use some help here, especially getting real docs about all the options.

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have found that in 'automations' if you go down to 'arrive/leave' then add an 'action' to enable the 'automations' when you are at home and disable them when you leave, hopefully that will work

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Good luck. Report with your findings, please.

Azzure44
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, are there any further updates to this? I am having the same issue with my Arlo lights. They were working fine but 2 weeks ago I took them down to give a full recharge. Ever since then, Schedule no longer works. Have tried all of the steps mentioned by other community members here also. 

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Didn’t work!!!

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Is there an update on automations (schedules in the old app) and Geofencing and when they will once again work together?  
It’s ironic that Arlo have introduced the word ‘automations’ in the new app when it couldn’t be further from it as more manual intervention is now required manually arming and disarming at night/morning

You’ve basically rendered my system useless. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@wenklaw can I please get a screenshot of your setup?

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have now deleted all the ‘automations’ except the geofencing one.

To set up geofencing and schedules to work together on the old app was easy. This new app is extremely convoluted and looking at the forum I'm not the only one, please feed this back.

How do you set up geo fencing and automations (timing schedules) to work together as currently it appears ‘automations’ over ride geofence automation. Honestly this new app is so bad. I’ve been with Arlo over 10 years this maybe the final straw

KLPDX
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have bookmarked this thread to keep watch on it for a solution from Arlo.  I too have the same problem.  When everyone leaves the house, the status will not change to Arm Home so we will change it manually THEN when we return, it DOES change back to Standby.  Makes no sense and Arlo needs to get their brains working on it or I'm about to pull the thing out and install Ring.

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Right the good news is Geofencing is working, basically I deleted all the other automations that armed cameras, disarmed cameras etc in the evening morning, deleted geofencing automation too, then I just set up a geofencing automation which has worked so far (once!) will need to give it a few more chances for me to be convinced its working as it should.

Now we just need timing automations to work along side geofencing as it has donw for several years (in the old app schedules) to get back to where we were in the old app, progress it really is!!!!!!

dleads
Tutor
Tutor

Not sure about anyone else, but the free version worked great, now paying for a primitive version is terrible - what a bait and switch and Ive been hearing about the fix for about 6 months now - should have never upgraded my iphone and would have been able to keep the free working version - How does Arlo go live with a product that is less effective and charge for it? Ready to get rid of it all together and move to Simplysafe or ring.

Arlo- get it together and get automation and geofence both working together - 

wenklaw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine updated to the new app just a few days ago when I added a pro5s to my setup.

when you say charged for the new app but free for the old? I pay a single cam sub but have old cameras that have free cloud still. As far as I am aware I could cancel the sub meaning the new app would be free. I can also access video clips stored on a 4530 smart hub when I get around to setting it up

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The app is free at all times. The subscription only comes up when you add a camera that's newer than the Pro 2, which has been true since 2018 when the Ultra was introduced.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

In the old app experience, you could only run a mode (arm/disarm/custom) OR schedule OR geofence.  In the new app experience, you can have schedules and geofence running at the same time.  So in this system, automation will continue to run as you have it planned.  If you have geofence and schedule both running, they will override depending on the last action.