Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Extremely Frustrated - 2 Questions Regarding Offline Notifications & Re-syncing Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
KMCCABE84
Star
Star
Hello,
I have two questions. I have three of these cameras setup with a strong signal to my router. For some reason, they all decide to go offline at random times. Is there any way for the app to send a push notification when they do? I'm tired of not getting alerts when I should, only to open the app and see they're offline... Secondly, why on earth, once I reset my router, do I have to re-sync each one by hand? If I'm not home and have to check in on my house, and they happen to be offline, what is the point of having a camera system -- if I have to manually re-sync them by hand?

Arlo support, please tell me there is an easier way to do this, and a solution? If not, are you working on a fix? This is awful, and should be an included feature.
Thank you.
26 REPLIES 26
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

KMCCABE84,

There is no notfication for a camera dropping offline but this seems to be a symptom of a larger issue. Cameras drop offline due to a handful of different reasons but the main issue is generally signal strength. Signal strength can be impacted by range (camera distance from the router) or interference. How far from the router are your cameras? What does the signal strength icon typically show?

What model router are you using and why do you need to reset it resulting in the cameras needing to be resynced?

JamesC

davem27
Guide
Guide

I have this same problem and have noticed it has something to do when the wifi "hiccups".  Sometimes the cameras recover usually I have to go reset each one by hand.  I'm curious why it doesn't reset itself like every other device that connects to wifi does.  I did also notice my doorbell comes back online so I'm guessing it something to do with power since it is powered.  If I connect my cameras to power, will they come back on line?

KMCCABE84
Star
Star
Signal is always strong... The fact that there is no notification for the cameras going offline is completely unacceptable... Is this something that tech support can add or address via a firmware update?
KMCCABE84
Star
Star
I am using a Verizon G1100 router and have zero issues with all devices connected to it. My signal always reports back as, "Strong", for the cameras. The only reason I have to reset the router is when the cameras all decide to go offline at the same time. They are no more than 20-30ft from the router and they all (3 of them) report as camera offline at the same time... Im frustrate and confused.
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

One reason could be your ISP, it appears the Pro 4 does not auto connect to the internet if it looses connection, so if you have a line fault and it drops connection now and then (look in router) thats your issue. I have an email from support telling me that not all of their cameras suffer this issue but which ones do or don't is anybodies guess. Its a joke to be honest that even a power cut could kill your cameras causing them to reconnect to your wifi but not the Arlo server and show you an image, from the fact my iPad and my iPhone show two different images for my front door I'm guessing all this is kept on their servers, so that's why when you loose contact with them you have to pull the battery and place it back in. I would complain. How can you call it a security system when they can fail that easily.

KMCCABE84
Star
Star
Agreed. It's a complete joke... And the fact that the app doesn't send a push notification when they go offline, is the worst part... wtf!?
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

Arlo said they will take this into consideration in future products, so unless they can fix this in firmware we bought the most useless security system ever. Anyone looking to break in who knows this will realise after a local power cut Arlo cameras like the Pro 4 wont connect back up connect back up, so your home is an easy target. With no notification, and I cant even pop the battery out as I'm disabled and wheelchair bound. So we are left unprotected. Arlo don't care, and wont help. I bought the XL kit with the pro 4 and tbh its as good as useless for its designed purpose with this flaw.

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

Its a real shame as I like the cameras I like the image quality and the convenience, I just don't like being left unprotected when they need to be power cycled and consider for a security product that this is a major flaw when my soundbar can reconnect as well as my TV but not a security camera!  I cannot magically levitate from my power chair I am left to wait for a carer to visit to sort things out which could be the following day, not great for over £300 with the XL kit. This is what I was told:

"Some devices happen to need to be power cycled in order to reconnect to the network. I also passed your opinion to my supervisor so it won't be unnoticed when improving our products. Kind Regards, **** Arlo Europe support."
So will this get ever get fixed? Your guess is as good as mine!

KMCCABE84
Star
Star
I'm very sorry to hear that. I completely agree with you on all the topics that you discussed. This system, their support, and lack of these very basic, yet extremely important functions, will make me never purchase another product from them. It's a shame that I wasn't aware of these issues, and they didn't start until after the return period.
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

More network maintenance and twice more my camera went off line in the same day, 100% signal, yet it cant access the Arlo servers. I'm so close to binning this camera as I feel like I spent £300 with the XL casing and battery kit for no reason on a product that tbh is inferior to my old Arlo Go that died. Yes it had no night light but it did reconnect to the cellar network should that ever fail, had better night vision than the Pro 4 even at 720p (non colour) and reacted instantly for notifications, not a minute after the event. Above all it could stay up for a month or so and not need the battery popping out every time there was maintenance by by Vodafone! (it was GSM 4G based)
 The Pro 4  unit stays connected to Wi-Fi fine just not Arlo servers and without them, the cameras don't function. Also how come Arlo support can log in and see what my camera is doing without my permission? Sidestepping 2FA, it feels like the whole system is not that secure, thank god they cant see in my home as I'm sure they can see what I see on the app, they never ask if its okay to do that, they just bypass your password and log straight in. Having that explained may help my angst marginally. 

Finally @JamesC  can someone actually confirm if this flaw/bug will be fixed or have I bought a an expensive plastic paperweight? It seems odd that if the camera is at 100% reconnecting the power charger to the bottom will make it reconnect, but if its under 100% you have to pop the battery out, that really feels like a firmware issue. Or do we need to buy an expensive base station to fix this problem defeating the point of having Wi-Fi only?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Killhippie,

Support can not log in to your account. The only information support can see is basic information about the cameras status (online, offline, the active mode, etc.).

Do you have a support ticket open already about the issues you're experiencing? If so, please provide the ticket number and I will take a look and escalate as necessary.

JamesC

-Paul-
Initiate
Initiate

I'm gutted. I've also invested in the Pro4 and I'm having the same issues. I'm moving off Netatmo cameras which have been working great but I wanted to upgrade the internal cameras and add a doorbell and Arlo reviews seemed the best option.....I should have done more research and spotted this type of thread!

I previously bought and installed the wired video doorbell which has been working perfectly (directly linked to WiFi) and it never drops its link to my app. I went with the Pro4 so in the hope that because it was the same company that it would work as well and I can view both cameras on the same app. The experience is cr@p and I'm taking the battery out and resetting the camera at least once a day. The WiFi hub is 20 ft away with no no internal walls in the way and the same hub links to the door bell 30 ft further away and behind a two doors. If I'm away from home and the camera disconnects because of a WiFi "hiccup" it is absolutely useless. The doorbell and remaining the Netatmo camera are fine, as is all other linked gadgets around the house so its clearly an issue with this camera

I've logged a call but still awaiting feedback. It does seem like this is an expensive paperweight and investing in the doorbell also seems like a waste of money

When is a fox coming or is this product being returned because it is not fit for purpose??!!

davem27
Guide
Guide

I went and bought a hub and no longer have this issue because the camera connect to the hub and not the wifi.  The hub is connect to the isp via cat6 so it doesn't drop.  I'm happy now

KMCCABE84
Star
Star
Which hub did you purchase? And you were able to sync the pro 4's to the said hub? Thank you.
KMCCABE84
Star
Star
Same boat. It's awful and support is no help. Unfortunately I'm outside of my return period.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KMCCABE84 wrote:
 And you were able to sync the pro 4's to the said hub? 

You can sync Pro 4s to the VMB4000, VMB4500, VMB4540, and VMB5000 bases.

If you want direct access to local storage, you'll need the two smarthub models (VMB4540 or VMB5000).

davem27
Guide
Guide

VMB4500-100NAS... yes, it was much easier than connecting to the wifi

davem27
Guide
Guide

i have the VMB4500... its great, I just throw a thumb drive on it and review the clips every couple of days or sooner if needed

KMCCABE84
Star
Star
I was under the impression that they had their own hubs built in, do you pair them, as you would, a router? And it was definitely used with the pro 4 spotlight cams? Thank so much again.
KMCCABE84
Star
Star
Thank you SO MUCH! I will try.
KMCCABE84
Star
Star
Looks they're all out of stock. 😌
Jim006
Guide
Guide

It's hard to find the smart hubs right now - I suspect it's due to the semiconductor shortages from COVID.  Regardless, be picky in your model.  I bought a new VMB4000 off ebay for $110.  Anything newer has an even larger markup and is typically refurbished.

The VMB4000 and VMB4500 will not let you view your locally stored videos from the phone app.  You have to "eject" the USB storage device, remove it, and then connect it to your computer.  That's a horrible user experience, especially if you're not at your house and just trying to view some footage off-site.  It seems to me this is a software limitation that could be fixed with a firmware update if Arlo chose to pursue it.  I think it's implemented this way originally as a motivation to buy one of the subscription plans.

I've been told the VMB4540 and VMB5000 will let you view locally stored videos from the phone app, but I cannot verify this myself.  I would recommend those models if that information is true.

Lastly, uou can also view your cameras "live" in 2k resolution if you have a base station.  However you can only do this when you are at home on your home network.  Otherwise it's 1080p via the Arlo cloud.  In addition, if you enable the 2k live streaming, you cannot manually record video (or take snapshots) while on your home network.  You can record/snapshot when remote because the cameras switch to 1080p streaming in that scenario.

I've tried both WiFi and Base Station connections for my Pro 4 cameras and overall I'd recommend the Base Station.  The signal strength is better and you get the very useful "foresight" feature (if your cameras have a wired power supply to an electrical outlet).  If it also solved internet connectivity issues, that would be another reason to switch to a base station.  There are some disadvantages with the base station such as the inability to arm/disarm individual cameras (although you can work around this by creating different arming profiles, but this is incredibly inconvenient if you have more than two cameras).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jim006 wrote:

I've been told the VMB4540 and VMB5000 will let you view locally stored videos from the phone app, but I cannot verify this myself. 

Definitely true, but it does have several limitations when compared with cloud storage.

Despite the limitations, there are plenty of folks here who have chosen to use direct access to local storage instead of going with the subscription.  I do have the subscription, but use the local videos as a backup.

davem27
Guide
Guide

Its easier than that in my opinion, once your hub is up, the camera finds the hub and connects.

Discussion stats
  • 26 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation