Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Deleting activity zones/Detection issues

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
MCali
Aspirant
Aspirant

Pro 4 XL,

Edit: I know how to delete an activity zone now.  Onto the main issue, why the camera not capturing the full motion event.

So I have an issue with one of my battery units on one camera.  It was working great and detecting everything with no issues.  The camera did stop recording altogether a few times, and I guess I figured out how to fix it.

So now on the same mount as camera one was located, I swapped out a second fully charged camera and it is doing great battery wise.  However I feel like the detection zone is compromised.  I tried toying with the activity zone which I did not do on the first camera.  Now I want to delete the activity zone to see if it will be as optimal as the original cameras detection.

What I am noticing is someone will drive into my property and I will not get a continous recording, it will just start recording when the person gets out of the car.  To where on my previous camera it would record them pulling in and the entire motion of them driving/parking/exiting the vehicle or vice versa until they exit the detection zone and there is no more motion.

Not sure why this is, the camera has the same visibility as my previous one and they are all the same model.  Viewing the camera on live they look to have identical views, not really sure what gives.

So how do I get rid of the activity zone, because that did not help solve this issue.  Also any ideas why the camera is not having equal detection sensitivity.  Both camera settings are on very high/100

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MCali wrote:

So how do I get rid of the activity zone, because that did not help solve this issue.  Also any ideas why the camera is not having equal detection sensitivity.  Both camera settings are on very high/100

When using my.arlo.com, you can select the activity zone by clicking on the >, and then delete it.

With the app, you swipe left on the activity zone (below the camera image).

@MCali wrote:

What I am noticing is someone will drive into my property and I will not get a continous recording, it will just start recording when the person gets out of the car.  To where on my previous camera it would record them pulling in and the entire motion until they exit the detection zone and there is no more motion.

Are you saying you are now seeing two recordings (the car pulling in, and then the person leaving the car)? 

Or just one recording that starts later?

MCali
Aspirant
Aspirant
Nope, I am basically getting half a recording. Like today someone was leaving the property. Rather than detect them walking up to the car and getting in which they had to do. It started recording when the car started taking off.

So I am not sure why it did not start detecting and recording from the time the person walked up to the car before leaving.

Other times the person will drive up and get out. It won’t start recording until they get out of the car and start walking. Sometimes not even when they get out. Half way as they are walking.

So they drive in, park, get out and head to there destination and that’s when the motion is picked up
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MCali wrote:
Nope, I am basically getting half a recording. Like today someone was leaving the property. Rather than detect them walking up to the car and getting in which they had to do. It started recording when the car started taking off.

Your examples sound like the recording is starting late.  In particular, sometimes the motion detection is detecting the vehicle, but not the person walking - but in some other cases, it is triggering on the person, but not the vehicle. 

Are you still seeing this with the activity zone(s) deleted?

How far is the camera from the area where you want the triggering?

One aspect here is that the motion detection is most sensitive to motion across the field of view, and also is more sensitive to motion at the bottom of the field of view.  

One common scenario is that a camera is aimed straight up a driveway or sidewalk.  If someone walks down the center of the walkway (or if a car drives down the center of the driveway), then motion detection often won't trigger.  It that fits your situation, then you should consider changing the camera location so that the vehicle and people are  moving across the bottom of the field of view.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation