Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
northeast1232
Guide
Guide

So, we "upgraded" from our previous different brand camera system we had no issues with to the Arlo Pro 4 and bought the 3 pack from a local big box store. Within a week, we already had to return the item to that store for faulty cameras, which was arlo support solution, which made sense as it was within the return window from purchasing.

Over the next 7-8 months, we are now sending back our 3rd camera for replacement. The first two had the same problem, with disconnecting, stating it's updating its firmware, then showing offline. When the system reset and tried to reconnect, it would blink amber after chiming and powering off. After a lengthy process with customer service, we did an RMA and received a replacement after paying for the shipping as they deemed the camera to be having issues. A couple of months later, the same problem occurred and went through the same troubleshooting, and after an hour, it was decided to get an RMA and a replacement camera with me paying for the shipping.

Less than a week later, another camera was no longer recording audio. I was just hearing a low-level static. I had tree removers with leaf blowers, chain saws, and wood chippers running, with only static. The 3rd Arlo camera (yet to have issues) we have was working fine, recording another angle of everything at the same time, this was how I discovered the sound issue. 

Went through all the hoops of resetting and eventually will be sending this item back with an RMA and a replacement on the way. 

Has anyone else dealt with so many issues from their cameras? It seems like one after the next goes down, and have to go through the hour-long process of customer service troubleshooting. I am beyond frustrated knowing I have basically wasted over $400 on this system that I can not trust for security.

9 REPLIES 9
W1919
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have had a similar issue (although with one Pro 3 floodlight camera). Just keeps disconnecting from the network. I put the camera next to the WiFi AP and yet it still disconnects.

On the App just shows the camera as offline. However when I go look at the network I can see the device still connected to the AP and responding and traffic flowing to and from the device.

I contacted support about 5 times , was put through 101 tests, 3 different people of which 2 were rude, was told my network was not good enough (even though I have 80mbs download, 20mbs upload and able to make video calls all day), they told me I had too many devices on my network which I didn't (but to prove the point I disconnected every device and only had the camera on the network - amazing it didn't fix it). Took 5 days to agree the camera was not working as expected.

They arranged a replacement to be sent out - not a new device a 'fixed device' someone else had returned. I have just started testing this. However already had to rest the device twice as it just stopped responding, during setup the live feed just stopped showing. So I am not holding my breath.

Fortunately, I only have 1 camera at the moment, so will not be too bad to replace it with another brand that actually works (and to avoid half these issues just go for cabled POE cameras and have local storage of videos). The frustrating part is I now have two of these useless devices that I have to arrange to recycle according to their  RMA process.

Advice - Avoid ARLO due to troublesome devices, and poor customer service.

northeast1232
Guide
Guide

Yep! Same here with all the tests. They asked about how many devices are connected to my wifi and if there’s a limit, which there is not and I have over 600mbps internet due to working from home. That also created an issue as the constant restarting the modem when working remotely is not ideal. 

I asked why only one camera would act that way and the others wouldn’t being in the same internet. Couldn’t figure out the problem after numerous trouble shooting attempts. 

While dealing with a rep yesterday, they just disconnect during our chat when I asked for a solution that wouldn’t require me paying additional money for shipping for a 3rd time. I had to start the process all over again, which luckily I was able to refer to my number and the next rep looked at the previous communication. 

I’m sure the 2 replacement cameras I have coming will continue to have problems. 

it’s funny to see the positive reviews on Arlo, which is why I purchased, but many are not long term reviews and mostly first impressions. If I were to make reviews, my day one versus today would be drastically different and would not recommend these cameras at all. 

All in all, I’ve had the following:

• all 3 cameras from the original pack I purchased have issues which led to a return at my local store. 

• 2 of the 3 cameras from the exchanged pack have been sent in for RMA replacements. 

• 1 of those RMA replacement cameras has been sent in for another RMA replacement. 

Unacceptable for such an expensive product. 2k is great compared to other brands like Ring Cameras, but 2k is pointless if they don’t work. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

I would be interested to know if the disconnect issue can be resolved if you set the local router wifi channel to a fixed value and set the camera’s IP to a fixed value within the router.

northeast1232
Guide
Guide

Didn’t when that was suggested by a rep. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

Thanks 

W1919
Aspirant
Aspirant

From my side, channel is already a fixed value and I set a fixed IP when I first started having dropouts so I could monitor the Camera on the AP. I still experienced the same issues even with these settings.

northeast1232
Guide
Guide

Can’t make this up, both of my RMA items I received today do not work. After chiming on the QR code, it blinks blue for 9-12 blinks, you hear a internal click, followed by 2 rapid auburn blinks and powers down. 

And also, through all of this, my remaining camera that was working, stopped working overnight. Arlo Pro 4 Wireless Security Camera 

Dannybear
Master
Master

@northeast1232 

Could it be the batteries are flat from return.

The pro4 don’t seem to be getting a good rap, glad I have stuck with my pro2 cameras.

northeast1232
Guide
Guide

Freshly charged batteries. Really regret this purchase of the pro 4. Looking at eufy currently and trying to hopefully get some type of a refund. Between the returns and RMA, I’ve had about 10 cameras and will have 3 more RMA returns if these new ones continue to have issues. 

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation