Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Can Pro 4 record clips without a subscription?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ByeArlo
Star
Star

I have a VMS4330 base station with three 4030 cameras connected to it, and don't have a subscription, which still allows me to have 7-days rolling video clip recording storage. Can I add a Pro 4 camera to my system and also have that record clips without a subscription? The overview page (the "No subscription" section) on this is confusing: https://www.arlo.com/pl_pl/support/faq/88/What-are-the-available-Arlo-subscription-plans-and-how-muc...

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ByeArlo wrote:

I have a VMS4330 base station 

No, VMS4330 is a system bundle, not a base station model.  Likely you have a VMB4000.  Look for a VMBxxxx label on the base.

@ByeArlo wrote:

Can I add a Pro 4 camera to my system and also have that record clips without a subscription? 

Everything you are seeing in the app and my.arlo.com is stored in the Arlo cloud, and not on the base station.

Your older Pro cameras came with 7-days of rolling cloud storage, which Arlo still provides.  But all currently sold cameras (including the Pro 4) require a subscription to get any cloud storage.  So you won't get the 7-day cloud storage with any of the current cameras no matter how you connect them.

You can add a USB stick to your base, and record videos locally.  But while your base supports local recording, it does NOT support playback.  The only way to see local recordings with your base is to eject the storage using the app and then connect it to a PC for viewing.

The other path is to purchase a VMB4540 smarthub with the Pro 4.  The smarthub supports direct access to local storage, which some people use instead of a subscription.  There are a number of limitations:

• Recordings only available from the app (not my.arlo.com)
  • Recordings only available from the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots.
  • No thumbnails.  All videos need to be downloaded to the phone before you can see anything
  • remote access requires router setting changes that many find difficult, and which don't work with some internet service providers.  

On the last point, there is a bug in the current iOS Arlo App, which creates another barrier for remote access.

On the cost side, a single-camera subscription in the US costs $7.99.  The VMB4540 lists for for $99.  So the payback period to getting the VMB4540 instead of a single-camera subscription is about 12 months.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation