Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Johnb101
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I currently own the arlo 4 kit, the Arlo wireless doorbell, and I also recently purchased an Arlo Pro 3 system with the base station. Up until now, I have paid for the monthly subscription. I purchased the Pro 3 setup in hopes that I could use the base station to store locally instead of paying the subscription. I cancelled my subscription and setup the local storage, put a big usb in it and no matter what I do, I can not figure out how to get it I save videos in my feed. The cameras will only work in Live view. How do I set this up without paying a monthly subscription

for instance I installed an arlo pro 2 system for my parents a view years ago and they have never had to pay a subscription and everything is backed up without issue. 

7 REPLIES 7
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

To be able to see clips in the feed page you need cloud storage hence a subscription.

App Access to the local recordings can be possible using a smart hub only and from the storage settings menu.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062997 

pro2 cameras came with free 7days cloud storage bundled.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Waiting until you got local recordings working may have been a good idea. However, you are where you are. 

It sounds like you have the new user interface (UI) since you reference Feed. Is this correct - you see Feed to view recordings (new UI) or Library (old UI)? Assuming Feed, you don't view local recordings there. In Devices, click on your hub and then Storage Settings. The local recordings are viewed there.

As for the old Pro system, they weren't stored locally but, rather, in the cloud. The free 7 day plan that those cameras get is the difference since any camera newer than the Pro 2 requires a subscription for cloud recordings.

Johnb101
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes my current setup is the New system with “feed”. I have the old system with there account that has the library option. There was no 7 day trial with the arlo pro 2, it’s been working for 2 years without any subscription and it all saves in the library and overwrites itself as it needs to. Literally the easiest functioning anyone could ask for. 

• As for my pro 3/4 system that I am stuck with. I can click on the base, click local storage settings and the only thing it shows me is that storage is good and enabled and shows me that I’ve used roughly 2Gb of the 230 that I have available. It’s setup to overwrite when full, best recorded video, the option for view recordings is clicked. I set up port forwarding with it and my router. but there is no library button or anything I can click to view videos. And there is no list of videos. I resubscribed in the meantime until I get this figured out. 
Johnb101
Aspirant
Aspirant

E79CE48E-1917-4917-8821-3BA93195A938.jpeg

1C76B973-C740-4F2D-903F-8322194DD311.jpeg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What base or hub are the new cameras connected to? Only the VMB4540 and 5000 SmartHubs can use the app to view local recordings directly. Older bases need to have the drive ejected for viewing on a computer.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

Only the VMB4540 and 5000 SmartHubs can use the app to view local recordings directly. 

The screenshots clearly show that @Johnb101 has a smarthub with port-forwarding enabled.

I'm not seeing any option to view the recordings from the his storage status screenshot. I don't have a smarthub in my test Feed account, so I'm not sure on exactly how to navigate to the local storage.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The local recordings show up automatically in the first screen for Storage Settings (below the Local Storage Settings text). It's brute force but I suspect you should remove all devices connected to that hub as well as the hub itself and start fresh to clear out whatever is causing this issue.

By any chance is a VPN in use? When you set up local recordings, you had to set an IP address for port forwarding to work. Is that still the same address? You may want to set the router's DHCP setup to always assign the same address to the hub to prevent having to change that. However, that's for use when away from home so if you're connected to your home network with no VPN in use, you should see the recordings. Only when away from home or using a VPN would you need port forwarding.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation